Error installing current SR8 RC

Today Rhino tells me there is a new RC, it is already downloaded:

Ok, I close Rhino, then this (which is expected):

But then this shows up:

I click OK and it comes up a second time.

The installation works ok, now

is installed.

When I now close Rhino, the same ‘Error saving RUI’ comes up twice, every time on close.

Observations:
The path to save the RUI is accessable.
I modified a toolbar (copied the Help button), and it gets stored.
I notice if the Osnap bar is visible, the visibility does not get stored.

What else can I try to get rid of this error?

Thanks,
-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

Odd… My install is telling me that SR7 (installed) is the most recent… Maybe a premature SR8 RC got out into the wild and you got it before they called it back?

–Mitch

(Pascal Golay) #3

@JohnM, do you have an idea?

-Pascal

(John Morse) #4

Pascal,

This is Brian territory…

(Steve Baer) #5

Are you sure John? The exception message is from the Toolbars plug-in. I’ll take a look.

In the future on discourse just @ mention someone if you think they should be involved… For example, by mentioning @brian, Brian will get an email message on this thread.

(Brian Gillespie) #6

That’s a bit disconcerting - there shouldn’t be an SR8 RC out yet! I wonder how that snuck out!

(John Morse) #7

The tool bar exception appears in German, can anybody translate it into English? It kind of looks like something does not like a path when cleaning up after writing.

(John Morse) #8

According to Google translate the error message is “Access to the path is denied”. I looked through the code and it looks like the error is being generated when attempting to delete a temporary file from your “%APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\UI\Temp” folder which indicates some sort of writes issue. To navigate to that folder open File explorer and copy the path enclosed in quotes above, I think you will find a bunch of TempRUI.tmp files, can you delete them using file explorer?

No, there is no single file in.

(John Morse) #10

I was able to reproduce the problem yesterday in a local SR8 build and just finished checking in a fix this morning. The public update went out today so I just missed getting the fix in, I will send you a update link in the morning after my changes make it through the build process.

The error is still there:

Error Saving RUI File

Unable to rename existing file “C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2012.8.29.121\PanelingTools.rui” as back up file)

Access to the path is denied.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)

at Rhino.UI.RuiFile.SaveFile(String sFileName, Boolean bPrintErrors) in d:\integration\rhino5\src4\rhino4\Plug-ins\Toolbars\RuiFile.cs:line 305

OK

Error Saving RUI File

Unable to rename existing file “C:\Program Files\RhinoGold 4.0\System\RhinoGold.rui” as back up file)

Access to the path is denied.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)

at Rhino.UI.RuiFile.SaveFile(String sFileName, Boolean bPrintErrors) in d:\integration\rhino5\src4\rhino4\Plug-ins\Toolbars\RuiFile.cs:line 305

OK

-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

Hi John,

any news about this, I’ve got today also an customer support request about this.

Thanks

Michael

(Steve Baer) #13

We are hoping this will be fixed in the next release candidate which should be available very soon.

Having the same issue…any resolution to this?

aaron

I’m having similar problem as the others here " Unable to rename existing file …" when closing Rhino5-Sr8-64Bit
I get 2 x popups like this: One for Auxpecker and one for PetersTools.rui.
I’m pretty sure it has something to do with administrator rights because if I run Rhino as administrator then I don’t get these error popups when I close Rhino.
Is there something I can set in the folder security to allow Rhino to make changes to these files/folders?
Michael VS