Emergency Save Rhino 6

Today it is only happening in one specific file, however the other day it happened in several other files. At the time I opened the Rhino Emergency Save and saved it as a newly named file and that temporarily fixed the issue, but then it happened again in those new files. I have tried saving the Emergency Save for this specific file again under a different name and it is still having the same issue, even directly from the Emergency Save.

Today it happens the first time I try NamedView after I open the file, whether immediately or after I do a couple edits to my model.

I have now disabled Enscape and the issue persists, however a shorter message appears:

Thanks.

Are you restarting your computer each time you get the error? Or do you open the next file without doing so? A restart each time, while tedious, is advisable.

If you haven’t done so, try creating a new file (after a pc restart to make sure everything is clean) and just put a single box in it, create named views and try to access them. If you still get the problem it won’t be geometry. If you don’t then you will know it is something specific to the older files and we can take it from there.

Hi, me again (the dad),

Our daughter just had a message: Please wait 20 hours and you’ll be able to create more replies…

Interesting…

Hi Julia,

Sorry you’ve hit some sort of new poster limit. If you find you can create a clean new file which does not exhibit the problem then you could try importing an errant file into it, rather than opening the file, and see if that improves things.

Note that Rhino said the errant file should only be used as a last resort, so it may be damaged anyway, in which case you may be better off going to a backup file.

1 Like

SelBadObjects will find what is according to esoteric math “bad geometry” which could be the problem. If it’s just an object with an excessively huge polygon count there’s no specific command to find them, you just kinda pick stuff and run PolygonCount and narrow it down…is your model able to shade complete in Rhino without crashing? What is the total polygon count?

I am restarting each time. I did as you recommended with a new file and there was no issue…I guess it is specific to the older files.

Hi Julia - can you send is that bad file? Please SaveSmall, zip and upload here

www.rhino3d.com/upload

to my attention, with a link back here in your comments.

-Pascal

What is your email address to send it to?

Hi Julia tech@mcneel.com should be filled out by default - if not please type that in, thanks.

@Julia_Richard - I have your file, thanks - so far there is one bad object which seems unlikely to be the source of your problems… I’ll continue to poke at it and see if I can find something useful.

So far, nothing looks complex enough (nor are the object memory estimates very large), to cause any trouble, I would think. What is the thing that you do in Rhino, if any in particular, that causes the memory message?
Since the materials are largely placeholders, I suspect the issue may be with rendering?

-Pascal

When the memory message appears, it is after I try to access my named views. It is often when I have opened enscape to render (that runs smoothly with no issues, the saved views in enscape itself work fine) and I then type the NamedView command.

When I have tried to open the rhino emergency save, it will automatically open namedviews and after buffering for a few minutes the memory message pops up again.

It has happened with another file but I am oddly not having issues with it anymore, but still have issues with this file.

I also wanted to ask about memory allocation in my RAM (i believe) to rhino specifically. My classmate had a different issue but also with rhino memory and mentioned that rhino with automatically set a maximum amount of memory that it can access? Let’s say 8GB. My classmate said he was able to allocate more of the RAM to rhino itself and he had no more issues with his files slowing down or things like that. It is not the same problem I am having but I wanted to ask if doing something of the sort could help fix the issue? Thanks

Hi Julia - try: open Rhino and open the named views panel. Set View Mode (in the context menu in that panel) to list rather than thumbnail. Then open the problem file - any better?

-Pascal

That actually helped! I have a feeling it may not be a permanent fix however, like the other things I’ve tried. But for now I can actually use that file which is great thank you!

Do you know if editing my max RAM usage may help in the long run?

Hi Julia- I guess the problem is the renderer was trying to re-render the thumbnails in the panel and running into trouble. Saving the named views in a wireframe mode should help - does your renderer provide ‘real time’ viewport rendering? As for memory - Rhino uses whatever it can get if it needs it - the only thing you can set is the maximum memory used for the Undo stack. That should be ~10% of the system RAM, as a ballpark estimate.

-Pascal