Efficiency in scaling and moving objects

I’m experimenting with various louver facade options. The methodology I currently use is that I design the facade on a smaller scale, then rescale it according to the height of the opening and move it there.

Though I’m able to achieve what I want using the script, I think for moving and scaling, my method is slower and there are better components or workflow in grasshopper for this method.

Please advise.

SCALING AND RELOCATING FACADE.gh (202.5 KB)

Instead of scaling, I would extract the dimensions from the Rhino target shape and use them as parameters to construct the louvers from scratch (the part you have internalized in this model). That way you can change the number of louvers to match the dimensions so narrow boxes have fewer louvers than wide boxes, for example.

1 Like

You can also try Box Morph

SCALING AND RELOCATING FACADE_re.gh (196.9 KB)

1 Like

Yes. That’s definitely an organized approach. My workflow should be simple from the beginning itself. You would relocate the louver geometry to its destination by extracting vertices of source and destination, then using 2-point vector (like I’ve done) or you would use more efficient method?

Thanks a lot. I’m studying your script now. How did you calculate the input values of 1130.672 for X and 36.359 for Y of the domain box?

Those values are arbitrary numbers depending on your opening size and louver depth dimensions maybe?

1 Like

The height, depth and length should be in proportion to the original louver. e.g. 10,20,40 should scale to 20,40,80.

Where 40 = the height of the white block. This value of 40 is directly extracted out of the vertical block on whose right side the louver got relocated and scaled.

Uniform scaling is to be done without any arbitrary numbers.

SCALING AND RELOCATING FACADE_reV2.gh (202.4 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks!. I was guessing that some combination of multiplication and division components would be used only but couldn’t figure it out. Thanks a ton :+1: :+1: