Editing material in Flamingo nXt 5.0?

Hi @scottd,

I get here Flamingo nXt 5.0 support calls, that old Flamingo nXt 3.0 customers don’t understand the new material system of Flamingo nXt 5.0.

One question is: When I double click the material file, Windows is searching for an AR-file extension and doesn’t find it. I am lost. What to do?

Is there a simple tutorial for Flamingos nXT 5.0 material usage? Editing, Assigning, etc.

As I understand it. Flamingo nXt 5.0 uses now the Rhino 5.0 material system, what is great and should result in a better preview in the viewports (what doesn’t work here with a first try).

How to edit a material? Do I really have to assign a material to an object, before I can edit it, like I show here?

Thank you in advance for your help

Michael
www.flexCAD.com

Hi @scottd,

probably you have missed this support request.

If Scott is not in the office, can someone else help, please?

Today I’ve got the next call from another Flamingo nXt 3.0 customer who upgraded to nXt 5.0. He has tried to set,edit and preview a material, but gave up frustrated after one hour with no result at all.

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

(Brian James) #3

Hi Michael,

The issue is that nXt procedural textures (those not based on bitmap textures) don’t display in Rendered mode. There is an open issue “FL-5071” which I have just given another nudge to hopefully get it fixed. Materials based on bitmap textures should display.

To add a material to a scene to edit it without having to add it to an object first, drag and drop it to some empty space in the viewport. Then that material file will be in the Materials panel and can be edited prior to assignment.

I hope this helps and that procedural textures from nXt 5 can be supported soon in the Rendered display mode.