Dynamic sections and blocks, a bug?

blocks

(Francesc Salla) #7

Do you mean they didn’t appear (when the block was just "linked) in the model "? or in Plan/Section views?

First the linked blocks didn’t show in the section.
Then we linked and embedded all the blocks nested and otherwise and they showed in the section.
Then we found a block which had been embedded and linked where the nested blocks were linked only and still showed. This happened accidentally. When we try to replicate this we don’t get the linked only blocks showing in the section…

So yes I mean the linked blocks didn’t appear in the section

(Francesc Salla) #10

Ok, thanks to clarify all that. We are working to fix these issues.
Kind regards,

(Francesc Salla) #11

@lifetime this error has been fixed in VisualARQ 2.

(Francesc Salla) #12

@ncederlo, @lifetime I get back to this thread to mention that VisualARQ 2 supports blocks when showing the model in section (vertical or horizontal sections). In addition sections are now managed by viewport independently (also from layout details) using the new Section Manager dialog. (You can watch it in this video:https://youtu.be/1qdNB5v_fwE)

(Andrew MacLaggan) #13

It doesn’t seem to work for me, am I missing something?

(Francesc Salla) #14

Hi @A_Mac, this is a different case. VisualARQ 1 didn’t section the blocks at all, and version 2 sections blocks but section attributes are not shown. This happens because Rhino blocks don’t keep the section attributes information. And it is not possible to assign section attributes directly to the block (so far) because the geometry inside the block has no section attributes or “by Parent” assignment. This is something that we plan to improve in future versions but in the meantime there is a workaround:

You can use the VisualARQ “Element” object for that (or the Furniture object). Just go to the Element Styles (vaElementStyles command), create a new Element Style:

Then select the style and assign that block to it, under the Geometry tab:

Finally go to the Attributes tab, and assign the section attributes you wish.

Cheers,

(Andrew MacLaggan) #15

@fsalla Thanks for the information. It doesn’t appear to behave correctly or consistently when I use the VA Element object. Print line thickness is not displayed, for example.

(Francesc Salla) #16

@A_Mac, you are right, only the hatch pattern seems to work properly in this case. We will review this behavior.
Thanks,

(Francesc Salla) #17

@A_Mac We have just released VisualARQ 2.2 that fixes a bug related to this topic.
Section attributes (and custom parameters) on objects were lost when creating blocks with these objects. Now it works fine.

(Andrew MacLaggan) #18

@fsalla Sorry but it doesn’t seem to work for me. Unless I am missing something.

These are extrusions with exactly the same section properties. The one on the left is a plain extrusion. The one in the middle is nested inside a block. The one on the right is the same block inside a Visual Arq Element. As you can see they look different.

(Francesc Salla) #19

@A_Mac, what VisualARQ version are you using? this might be related to a bug that has already been fixed.
Can you share this test model so I can confirm it? (send it to visualarq@asuni.com)

(Andrew MacLaggan) #20

@fsalla I am using version 2.2.3 with Rhino 5. I will send you the test model.

(Francesc Salla) #21

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the file!
You are right, there are still some bugs we need to fix to make this work properly. Currently Blocks don’t override the attributes of their “chilIdren” geometry that are set to “By Parent”. So it is necessary to assign the attributes to the geometry before converting it into a block. For that reason assigning the attributes to the Element style created from that block doesn’t change anything.

And creating an Element style from the block that had the attributes assigned to the geometry, also has some issues,(Line color and Pattern color are not shown correctly).

I’ll let you klnow when we fix all these issues.

(Andrew MacLaggan) #22

What I would really like to do is assign a Print Line Thickness to a VisualArq Element at this point. Is this possible?

(Francesc Salla) #23

Yes, this is possible if you assign the Print Line Thickness to the geometry before creating a block out of it. Once the block definition is done, assign it to a new Element style and that’s it. No need to assign attributes to the Element style. This is not working though with the Line Print color and the Pattern color. I’ll let you know when it does.

Is it now possible to change those settings inside block editor? Is it possible to do anything VA-related in block editor? There were large problems with that before but maybe something has changed?

(Francesc Salla) #25

@Tomek_Wloga Unfortunately it is not. Once a block has been made, it is not possible to edit the section attributes of the geoemtry inside it. This is something we are pending to fix.

(Andrew MacLaggan) #26

@fsalla That appears to work good news. I will have to explode a lot of blocks and recreate them but at least it is possible.