Dynamic Array like Blender

Anybody knows a plugin or similar to create dynamic arrays (like Blender for example) where is possible to change number on x/y/z and distance between them at any time?

hello @clacortese did you try out Grasshopper?

Honestly not, it looks too complex and I was hoping in something more user-friendly like a plug-in or script for such a command.

Do you have any suggestion for Grasshopper ?
I mostly need to array blocks, like lamps for staging light design and other objects, and I would like to keep the operation flexible.

nothing besides that?

hi @clacortese here is an example:
simple_lightarray_example.gh (50.5 KB)

simple_lightarray_example.3dm (110.8 KB)

The only thing is that currently Raytraced does not detect a change you make in any of the sliders.
hth

hey Gijs,

bedankt for this test!

Could you please save it in Rhino 7? Still stucked there…

that won’t work in Rhino 7, because you need to reference materials. If you use V-Ray you could do something similar though. You can download Rhino 8 demo and see if that works for you.

Thank you very much, it seems I might start to learn GH

Hi @clacortese,

The Array command lets you change quantities and distances. Have you tried? (Read the command line)

— Dale

Thanks Dale for the info, yes I was aware of it.
What I would have liked (as in B3D for example) is to array objects and flexibly change the number of objects and other parameters at any time without “baking” the operation.
I think GH is the way to go, even if for a noob like me does not look very intuitive.

Maybe some plugin exists and I’m not yet aware…

This is exactly the reason why it makes sense to add a feature that encapsulates Grasshopper scripts in a scene object - ideally a dynamic block.
As some plugins already support. VisualArq: vaElement, or APE/AdaptivePartsEnvironment.

What’s the benefit: hide the complexity of the script, expose only the input parameters in the standard property panel. That’s all a user (not necessarily creator) of the script will be interested in, when it comes down to create output, and less write the script that creates the output.

This is not the same as running a GH script with GrasshopperPlayer. It’s more convenient, because the generated object AND the script are one and the same object, as seen from a user’s perspective. Objects generated by GHplayer are not parametric in themselves. Dynamic GH blocks are.

You might have heard me nag about this feature numerous times, because I’m deeply convinced that filling this usability gap would add a superpower to Rhino, for the benefit of all.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Eugen, I strongly agree with you.
Indeed, I was thinking to something like VisualArq that I often use: there with just few clicks and a pretty easy-to-understand UI we’re able to tweak the main elements used in architecture and at same time speed up consistenly our workflow.

I’ve tried in the last days to learn more of GH, but honestly I don’t see the benefit from a program that in my point of view is too hard to learn for things that should be way easier to create, like in this case a dynamic array.

I remain confident for future updates!

1 Like