DXF export settings

I am looking for help understanding all the different options when exporting a DXF. We export 2d objects to run our our plotter and I am trying to diagnose and issue we keep running into with between our ploter and our DXF.

What is the issue exactly? That could help us determine what settings you need to try.

We currently have ProSail plotter, and we have sent files the people over at ProSail, and they have told us our file has way to many points. That is why it takes so lone to open in their software.

About three months ago, we were looking at other plotter/cutters, and one manufacture had us change from the “default” setting to “2007 Lines” and change the maximum angle to 7.5. This helped with the loading time, but now our sew marks are randomly not in the same place, and some times outside the pannel they need to be in. I am guessing each machine has settings they like; however, prosail is not familiar with Rhino, and I am just trying to understand all these options and what they do.

That probably means you are tessellating your curves (converting splines and arcs to polylines) with far too fine settings. You need to find out from your provider (ProSail) what kind of curves they can accept, and you also need to know what kinds of curves you actually draw.

If they can accept arcs for example, you do not need to convert those to polylines on export; however if you have free-form curves (splines) you will likely need to convert them to either polylines or arcs.

That’s not an incredibly nice export setting, it means all curves will be converted to a series of line segments (unjoined) and a 7.5° angle between adjoining segments will be quite visible. But I don’t know what kind of tolerances you really need.

Rhino’s DXF settings can be tailored to almost anyone’s needs - you just need to find out what they are.