DWG import pollutes layers

Hi,

When importing a DWG exported from ARCHICAD, RhinoWIP adds a lot of extra layers which I didn’t have in my original file (named Layer xx …). It places blocks on them, but there are empty ones as well. Rhino 5.5.2 imports the layers just fine.

Example screenshot here:

I’ve attached an example DWG for inspection.

The translator in ARCHICAD doesn’t really matter, as far as I’ve tested (when using the built in “03 For as is output”, RhinoWIP crashes though).

Another issue is, that all the new layers are created with the colour white, which is odd, as I’ve set the new layer colours to black in the Preferences/Colours.

If someone could take a look, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

DWG test.dwg (81.2 KB)

Hi,

Did someone take a look at this?

Thanks!

Hello - I’m checking it now, thanks for the file and ‘heads-up’.

I see that on Mac all layers are white and on Windows all layers are black and there is a good number of empty layers on both platforms…

I do not have Archicad here to test against but I see that V5 does a cleaner job with layers.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-49563

-Pascal

The reason you get all of the “Layer XX” layers is because Rhino 6 doesn’t allow spaces, (, ), [, ], {, or } as the first character of a component name. It sets the name to empty and that’s why you get all of the generic names. Just about everything in Rhino (V6) is fundamentally a component (ie. you cannot name a block or an object that way either). The easiest workaround is to not name your layers in Archicad starting with a [. An alternate solution would be for us to add some arbitrary leading character when we encounter [, or any of the forbidden characters, as the first character. Chances are the latter would probably impact round trip in a bad way, so that’s not ideal. If neither of these options work for you reply here. Maybe there’s something we can do about it but the probability is not good. If it turns out to be painful it won’t happen.

Tim

Hi Tim,

It’s good to know. I think I have to switch to another layer structure in the future – I’m looking forward to know whether it’s easy to implement or not, though!

Thanks!