Dual GPU rendering black...?

Hi, I’m currently evaluating the demo versions of Rhino 7 to see if I should update from my version 5 license. I’m encountering a strange issue where if I only render on one GPU, everything works, but if I enable both my GPUs, I get a black screen, although the line below the viewport shows some activity.
It does not matter which GPU is active, either one alone renders fine
The same system works great with Redshift, Blender and other GPU renderers.

My setup is using a GTX 1080 TI and a RTX 2080 TI. 64 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64 all with latest updates and drivers…
Rhino version is (7.0.20314.3001, 09.11.2020).
I have Cycles set to CUDA in Preferences.

Thanks for any pointers!

Tom

Hi
Please run the Rhino “SystemInfo” command and post the results.
This will tell us what Rhino sees for system resources.

Thanks.

Hm, when exiting Rhino 7 I was offered an update which I accepted. But after installing it, I can’t start it anymore but get an error that “Rhino requires a license to run. Rhino will now exit”. Huh - I had 87 days left on my trial?
Not a very encouraging start I have to say…

Ok, this is officially dumb - the updater inside the demo version installs the non-demo version… which then of course doesn’t work.
Either disable the updater in the demo or update to the latest demo please!

Okay, uninstalled Rhino 7, reinstalled Rhino 7…
Here you go:

Rhino 7 SR0 2020-11-9 (Rhino 7, 7.0.20314.03001
License type: Evaluation, build 2020-11-09
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2021-02-23

Windows (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
VersionMajorMinorServicePack failed

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 11-6-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 457.30

Secondary graphics devices.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 11-6-2020 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 11-6-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5730
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 11 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20314.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Looks good to me?

Cheers,

Tom

Multi-device rendering is currently broken. It is on my list ( RH-57576 Ensure multi-device works ).

Adding this thread to the YT item so you’ll get notified when it is back up and running.

1 Like

Ok, so I can at least stop trying … :wink:

Thanks!

Will I be able to update my evaluation copy somehow? Or am I stuck with the version I downloaded?

Cheers,

Tom

Whenever we release 7.1 you’ll be able to use that, should still be within the evaluation period. I don’t know if I’ll be able to fix it for 7.1, but working hard through my bug list.

1 Like

Well, I just had the experience of my evaluation copy downloading a non-evaluation version update, so I’m not sure how this system is supposed to work, update wise…?

Cheers,

Tom

The installer is the same for full and evaluation. It is the license key that matters

I have no idea how it’s supposed to work. :man_shrugging:
I only know I downloaded and installed the demo version, when it offered me an update I accepted and after installing that, I could no longer start Rhino 7 with above error message.
When I re-installed the older demo version I downloaded first, it worked again.

If that is not what should happen, I’d either need an explanation, or it’s a bug.

What I would have expected is, that the update would install and use the demo license that the initial installation obviously somehow found/used. That’s what pretty much every other software I’ve ever tried did, if the demo wasn’t explicitly a separate file/version.

But after some more demoing, I’m not sure I’ll update my version 5. Somehow I’d have hoped that two versions later somebody would have done something about the clunky 1990 GUI and the archaic workflow.
Especially with SDS modelling, the whole command centred thinking is just in the way.
So my current plan would be to continue doing SDS modelling in Blender and only turn to Rhino for conversion if a client really needs NURBS models and update Rhino on demand in that case.

Cycles in Rhino, the other thing I was curious about, feels very dumbed down from what Cycles in Blender can do, may be okay for very simple things, but everything is so clicky and longwinded and simplified to death and absolutely not helped by the crappy GUI.
Without nodes, it’s a really crippled thing, like a horse with the legs cut off…

Also, Version 7 doesn’t seem very mature for a release version, I mean dual GPU rendering isn’t exactly bleeding edge? I use it for ages…?

But yeah, doesn’t matter too much, it seems Rhino still isn’t really for me and probably will always stay in the “use if I have to” category.

Cheers and all the best,

Tom