Draw Order changes when exporting to DWG

Could anyone please advise how Draw Order can be preserved when exporting to DWG? I can’t seem to find any way to control it - objects shown below are sorted both in their Draw Order and even moved up and down physically.

AutoCAD:

Rhino:

Hi Daniel - does it look correct if you re-import the dwg back into Rhino?

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a good point. Yes, these dwg appeared correctly when I opened them back in Rhino.

I suppose that makes it an AutoCAD issue then, but I don’t think that autodesk forum deals with third party problems. First glance over draw order in autocad didn’t yield any “clear draw order” like equivalent, so Im not quite sure what to do with it yet.

Sorry about the delay, caught a windows update on a slow wifi connection :cold_face:

Did some research, but I couldn’t find any facility in AutoCAD to “reset” draw order. I think that a custom plugin for that will be needed.

The only silver lining in all of that is that I finally have a reason to use C#.

Ah yes, that…

-Pascal

*because there is no python in autocad…
EDIT: I shouldn’t have said that.

Setting TREEDEPTH command to 0, suppresses any draw order in Autocad.
This means that later added geometry will be overlapping the older one, regardless of the DrawOrder it has been set to.
Use REGENALL command afterwards to see the effect.

Thanks @djordje, but I think that the problem lies in that DWG files generated with Rhino appear in the wrong draw order and not making subsequent changes? Please correct me if I misunderstood your solution.

Just to be clear, the entire drawing shown above was generated in Rhino - it wasn’t added to an existing DWG file.

I’ve also heard that DRAWORDERCTL system variable and HPDRAWORDER can control draw order of the new objects, but I was hoping that generating DWG files from Rhino can appear in the same order as it shows in Rhino (or at least follow the actual elevation of the objects).

Hi @Daniel_Krajnik ,
Not sure, I just wanted to point out the a command/variable to reset the draw order in Autocad.
Apart from that, I can’ help you. Rhino exported .dwg files, have other issue on my side (dimension lines getting moved), but that’s of no relevance here.

1 Like

It’s quite annoying though, those small issues. Ive had to split on our project any 2d work to autocad and only export 3d make2d results into separate xrefs. Its not a dealbreaker yet, but does make me slightly anxious going forward on collaborating with autocad.

2 Likes

i can feel your pain