Drape or wrap over holes

I would like a quick way to cover holes on a triangular mesh of an animal skull. I have a lot of these meshes to do and it does not need to be perfect.

The mesh defines the inside and outside surfaces of a ‘capsule’, and the holes go through both the inside and outside surfaces - ie they are real holes in the skull and not imperfections in the mesh - see below. Think of it like a hollow plastic practice golf ball, eg http://www.amazon.com/CSI-Plastic-Golf-Balls-Dozen/dp/B0000BY9DK. I cannot do some further analyses in another software until I somehow wrap over these holes.

So I thought the ‘drape’ command in Rhino might work well. I could even save the ‘drape’ surface as a separate object and do the analyses on that. Problem is that the new draped surface falls down the holes.

Is there a way to stop this or some other way I could very quickly generate a new/fixed surface without the holes? I can fix the mesh in Meshmixer, but there are several operations per hole and the software often crashes and takes a lot of time. Thanks so much in advance.

I am not so experienced in rhino but if its a mesh and you want to close holes just go under the mesh tab and look for close all holes command. Again i have used this but take my advice with caution:)

(Pascal Golay) #3

Hi Ptenax - one possibility is to DrapePoints and then MeshPatch the results… kind of a long shot but you might be able to make somehing work.

-Pascal

Thanks guys. The DrapePt command seems good. I had trouble (so far) creating a new surface with MeshPatch - how can I select all the points?, and I had no idea what SelectHoles wanted me to do. Eventually I got a message that said “Creating mesh” - should this finish and create a new layer that I can see under the Layers tab? Presumably I can lay down more than one set of points with DrapePt and then connect them all into one new surface mesh? Sorry to ask such basic questions - I am just evaluating Rhino at the moment, so on a steep learning curve, and hoping it will perform this operation without too much effort. Thanks.

(Pascal Golay) #5

Hi ptenax- If I understand what you want to do, I’d just select all the DrapePts results that you want to use - that is, there could be some points that drop through the holes and are too far down- leave those out, of course - start MeshPatch then just Enter to bypass the hole part of MeshPatch. The resulting mesh will be on the currently active layer, if it follows Rhino convention.

Yes. It might take some experimenting, but it might get you there. I’m not sure that this is the very best approach myself, but it is what came to mind reading your original post.

-Pascal

Also it would be very much easier to just run a dynamesh in zbrush then remesh if you dont need a dense surface. Dynamesh will close the holes and give a nice surface then after all that you can return to rhino but for something as this zbrush is best