Drafting tools and file conversion

Rhino Support Team:

I am teaching a graduate level class in exhibition design, learning Rhino 7 as I go. My primary drafting software for my personal work is Vectorworks, so the platforms are very different. This class is learning how to draft 2D plans, elevations and sections for fabrication of mainly architectural and millwork/cabinetry in Rhino 6 and 7, for Mac and Windows. The class is familiar with the modeling functions in Rhino 6 and 7 but are struggling with 2D drafting tools, including getting dimensions and notes on their drawings, especially when they are asked by me to show drawings at a variety of scales on a single sheet, which is common practice in architecture. Can you please direct me to the best support for these tasks? I also am having problems importing dwg files that are at 1-1. They come into Rhino not to scale, no matter what I do, and I cannot find a way to modify the scale in Rhino 7 once the import is complete. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

John Klink
Instructor, GWU/Corcoran School of Exhibition Design
410-790-4986

1 Like

this could be a good starting point: Rhino - Learn to use Rhino

Thanks- I am working through that now but having some help with these questions would be nice.

1 Like

The keyword here is Layouts. Now, I am still on V5 for Mac, as it’s only a hobby and it suits my purposes, so I don’t know how things have developed in V6 and V7. But as there seems to be little interest to help you out, I will add my 5cts here

A layout window is basically just another viewport. You can double click on the content, which will open up the viewport, and you can edit the 2D or 3D model as you are used to in the main viewports. Top, right, front and perspective views can be selected per layout window.
However, when you close the layout window (by clicking on the background), and then click on the edge, you can edit the window itself. Set points to on, and you can change the shape and resize the window to your preference. But on top of that, when you open the properties UI, you can set the scale and lock it! Now, this is how you can combine different aspects of your 2D design, and give each its own scale.
Go to layouts in the menu (right top of the model view in my V5 case). A UI will open requesting you to specify the size of the main layout window, custom size or based on a standard printer size. I always delete the first layout window, leaving the background only. Layer windows are objects like all other, so specify a layer for them and make it the active layer.
Add a new layout window by clicking on the + sign, double click on the content to activate the layout and change the viewport mode to Top. Click on the background to deactivate and select the edge of the window. Set Points to on and resize the window. While selected, open the properties UI and set/lock the scale, say to 1:100. Double click the contents again, and move your design until you are happy with the way it is shown. Deactivate the window.
To add details of your design, just add a new window in the same way, and set the scale at a different value, say 1:10. Layout windows can overlap each other, so you can place them as you prefer.
Now the fun starts. With all your layout windows closed, you can start annotating. If you prefer, you can add yet another layer and make it active. Just type your annotations over the layout windows. The text properties, positions and sizes will be constant, independent on the changes you make to the contents of the window, or even a scale change. And what is more, when you place dimensions in this way, the same applies, except for the dimension value, which will conform to the scale of the layout window.
Layouts have their own set of layers, which you can use to hide or display objects. In the case of V5, this was a subset of the main layer set, i.e. objects on a hidden main layer could not be displayed in a layout window layer. I don’t know how this has evolved in V6/V7.
There are specific commands for layouts, like HideObjectInLayout etc. You have to find out about these.
Hope this helped you to make a start.

Max.

1 Like

Max: Thank you very much- this all makes sense. John

Small error on my part: clicking the + sign creates new layout pages. If you want multiple layout windows on the same page you should copy the first one, and resize it as required.

Not true, just leave it to serve as the overview.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi John -

As for this one, does the following help?

If not, please provide a dwg file that you are having issues with.
-wim