Don't be grey (on grey)!

Please can we have menus and tabs displayed in colours with greater contrast instead of the current grey on grey text. Look at how much more legible text in the standard Windows colours is, for example:

Low contrast is distracting because the brain recognises there is a message there and wants to decipher it. So then you are straining your eyes on it instead of focussing on the task in hand.

It’s equally bad in the dark theme btw.

Thanks
Jeremy

5 Likes

Rhino.Options.UiPaintColors.TextDisabled

I agree about the top menu bar and the application title bar. However, for the inactive tabs, I don’t think we want to have those share the same background as the active tab. Perhaps making the text a little darker will help. I think we’ve been making some changes under the hood that should make this easier.

3 Likes

This is what I did. Though the inactive tab defining edges are lost, I can still easily read the names, and my active tab stands out.

What I’m really concerned about is the WIP icons in dark theme.

Looks like the colour scheme is in flux at the moment: I could tweak all the menu and tab colours, now after the 8.0.23101.16305, 2023-04-11 update the UiPaintColors seem to be mostly disassociated with the colours used in the UI so only the menu text is still controllable. Perhaps as a result of:

@Brian, I had previously managed to find a set of values that gave good clarity to the text whilst preserving the distinction between the active tabs and the others. Unfortunately the new update means I can’t show them right now, but the potential is there. Looking forward to see how this all pans out.

I answered that question here: Are the Icons for the Dark theme complete, or still WIP?

Yes, there’s definitely a lot of changes going on under the hood now. I don’t even know how to explain to you how to change the colors anymore. We’ll be fixing that soon.