Does V6 feature layer highlights when object selected?

Hi Wim, I was guessing it would be handy if you selected an object , it would also show up in the layer tree what you selected. Would make it much easier for finding an objects layer ( which is exactly what the indicator does at the bottom of the work screen) but doesn’t actually show you where it is in a long list of layers. Thanks, Mark

Now that is an oxymoron if ever there was one…

-Pascal

2 Likes

I think Object Properties does all that Steve asks. I ran a quick test and made 5 sub-layers, all black, so they’d be indistinguishable, and made numerous objects in a wide range of layers and sub-layers. When I selected any of the objects, the row marked “Layer” (third from the top) immediately lists a color swatch of the layer and the layer name. This info appears in a box that has a drop-down arrow button. When clicked, it brings up an image of the Layer menu, with the correct layer or sub-layer highlighted. It couldn’t be more explicit, and all it requires is one click on the drop-down arrow in Object Properties. The object originally selected remains selected. The layer location image only drills down to the layer or sub-layer upon which the selected item resides. It doesn’t show any further sub-layers than the selected item. Where this method fails is if objects on more than one layer are selected. The information listed in the Layers row in Object Properties reads, “varies”, and the drop-down image doesn’t have anything highlighted. It sounded as if Steve was trying to determine the layer for a single object, but this may not be the case.

Doug

Hi Doug - right- the problem for users is that this does not locate the layer(s) in the layer panel itself. You may want to do something with them - turn em off, copy them, what ever, and getting them highlighted/selected in the layer panel is the thing - especially if there are lots and lots of layers. However, as mentioned, there are tools for that, it just does not happen on the fly - for the reasons mentioned above.

-Pascal

Thanks for the further explanation, Pascal. In my little test, I only had 30 or so layers, and the drop-down thumbnail kept sequence with the Layers menu, and I thought that would be enough to locate the layer, but I see that with a much larger number of layers it could be problematic to find what you want with a relatively small image. In that case, I’m wondering about creating a naming protocol that would also help the user locate the layer. This, of course, would be the user’s responsibility, but with the combination of names, numbers and colors, there must be some powerful and elegant naming conventions that, used in conjunction with Object Properties, should direct the user to the layer location efficiently.

Doug

Yes, all that, but there are tools available that work fine even without any special organizational effort on the users part.

-Pascal

would be funny translate the [Pascal Golay] script to grasshopper
(for me isn’t working at all) & a toogle button in the panel to avoid headaches

wish extract item from hammer menu and convert it to tuggle button