Does Rhino7 work with GeForce RTX smoothly?

I think it is a sweet choice for the money.

1 Like

I had tons of Rhino crashes/freeing in recent weeks while working with 3d mesh scan models. There was no chance to send reports, because upon every crash my Windows 10 basically freezes and the only “solution” is to hold down the hardware button of my PC to turn off the power and then restart Windows. For the past week after dozens of crashes there was only one emergency file saved on my desktop screen and despite it being 179MB in size it’s empty inside. No hidden objects, no locked objects. It’s basically impossible to work with 3d scan data. On top of the crashes, every time I select, deselect or move/rotate a dense 3d mesh model Rhino will freeze for a few seconds, which makes the work a rough experience.
The majority of the crashes happened after working with 3d scan models for just 30 seconds and several actions such like creating a few NURBS surfaces or editing their control points. Even if the 3d scan data is there as reference and I work on NURBS geometry. Crashes like that happen even while rotating the camera, with zero interaction with the objects.

1 Like

Just a simple tought…

Could it be the overheat of the graphic card?
Last year I was working on a very hot place and I burned out my laptop battery.

As I read on another thread crashes are, most of the time, related to card overheating.

No, it happens only on 3d scan data, even if the polygon mesh count is nothing special.
My video card is barely used while working on Rhino. Also, temperatures here are 26 degrees C now, and crashes happened last night at below 20 degrees C. I had similar issues with scan models several months ago during the winter in a non-heated room close to 10 degrees C.

We work with scans quite often, photogrammetry of terrains that are textured, and they never crash. But we have these in separate files and link (reference) them into Rhino as instances (blocks). That way we don’t have to save the scan data into the file. It works well here. How large are your scans? (number of polygons?)

The issue may be related to the fact that 2 or more 2d scan models are being shown in the same place (maybe the graphics card or Rhino can’t handle well those intersecting polygons?). But also, when I edit a very simple NURBS surface while 3d scan model is visible in the viewport.

The memory leak is huge while I try to position one car bumper in the 3d space so that its history-enabled mirror copy along the X-axis will follow the opposite rotation and movement. That helps me align the original model to be in the proper position. Several of those adjustments lead to filling the entire available RAM. Not sure if the Unto/Redo stores separate 3d scan data for each step in the memory. Crashes happen no matter if I set 2000, 4000 or 10 000 MB for the Undo in the Rhino settings.

As I mentioned before, even after freshly opened 3d scan model each selecting or deselecting takes several seconds and that delay is also annoying.

“There would be 3ᅠ207ᅠ702 total triangular polygons in this selection after forced triangulation”

Latest drivers, latest Rhino 7. I also tried older Rhino 7 versions and older drivers. Still same issues with 3d scan models.

Hm, maybe you can try to make a block of the scan and then mirror that block. In theory it should be faster for Rhino to move a block around than to move the actual geometry around. But I am not sure how it will work out for you.

Also try the ReduceMesh command first, it’s quite robust and I guess you can reduce it to 50% or even more without loosing too much important details.

Still crashing with those tested. Also, as I mentioned before, even mesh models with a very low polygonal count force Rhino to crash or Windows 10 to entirely freeze.

Hi Jorgen - I do not know that this is true - there is extra overhead in applying a transform to the block instances - albeit a ‘trivial’ in this case. Any performance advantages, from using block instances, do not accrue until there is some number of repeats, is my understanding. But that understanding is limited…

(Steve tells me - Using a block would be beneficial with respect to memory use as the undo memory used would be very small and we would only have to place the geometry on the GPU once instead of a whole bunch of times)

-Pascal

1 Like