Does Rhino support e57?

Hello, I exported a point cloud in e57 format from ReCap, but for some reason Rhino cannot open it :no_mouth: What can be wrong? CloudCompare works with this file quietly and does not complain.

Hi @Modeler3D,

Rhino 6 and above can read .e57 files. If you don’t have Rhino 6, there is this:

What version of Rhino do you have?

– Dale

1 Like

I am very grateful for such an immediate reaction!
And I just have Rhino 6 (6.25). The file seems to be good

Hi - please post or upload the e57 file that Rhino 6 doesn’t read.
-wim

1 Like

Here, for example
1.e57 (240 KB)

Hi - that file opens without problems here on Rhino 7 and 6.28.

The current public version is 6.26 and you could also try a release candidate for 6.27.
-wim

1 Like

Opens here using Version 6 SR27 (6.27.20147.8371, 5/26/2020) which is a Service Release Candidate.

1 Like

Do you have the E57 Import Plug-in loaded and enabled?

1 Like

Thank you all so much, I will definitely check this out!

Yes, the plugin is still Enabled

Exactly, the update fixed it! Thank you for your help!

I didn’t think that I would come here again, but I have an unknown anomaly. If I open or import .e57 specifically from the desktop, then it just doesn’t open, everything is fine from the flash drive. What can be wrong?

Hi -

I have no idea. Are there any error messages on the command line?
-wim

1 Like

Maybe the file path is too long, contains non-alphanumeric characters, contains spaces, etc.

1 Like

No, it is unlikely. And the problem on two devices at once

Nothing at all

Hi -
Can you open and save other file formats to the same location?
-wim

1 Like

Yes, of course, 3dm for example

And you were right, if the file is on my desktop, then there are several Russian characters in the path, if you try a different path, where there are only English characters, for example, C:\Users – everything is fine.

@wim, let me drop the archive with this folder, with Russian characters in the name and e57 file, and you will already try to open it. Do you agree?