Documentation methodology with Rhinoceros on the 3D model of wood sculpture

At the Italian Institute for Con servation and Restoration in Rome we have used Rhinoceros for the first time to documentation of the restoration works. The program meets the desired requirements for the adaptation of many commands to our needs but we are looking for a faster methodology. For example, we would need a command that in a single passage allows us to highlight with a colored pattern a piece of the 3D mesh model of a work of art, even if very small, working in the ‘perspective view’. We hope in the near future the inclusion of a ‘hatch’ command that, as the ‘polylineonmesh’ method, will be able to adhere perfectly to the ‘perspective view’ to the model.
We thank you in advance for any suggestions and attach a link where the operations carried out in one of the documentation tests with this software are explained.

Hello - thanks for this, very interesting - my guess of the moment is that the Rhino SDK may allow programming of the functions you outline in a plug-in if you have anyone interested in doing that work.

@piac - do you have any thoughts?

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi @angeloraffaele.rubin

welcome to our forum and thank you for presenting your work.

Are you looking for a command that selects faces, or one that paints them in a color? Or maybe one that creates new faces in another fashion? I understand the on-mesh part, but not the idea of a “hatch” in this context.

I know a plug-in for some of the options I mentioned, but not for all of them. Also, @stevebaer has done recently some work on a new type of Gradient Hatches.
Thanks,

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

Hello,

Welcome!
I’d like bring to your attention that there is also an Italian discourse forum.
Some people visit both fora and because you are Italian you can benefit from resources both here and there.

-Willem

Hi @piac
thank you for response. We looking for a command that paints faces in a color or in a coloured hatch of strokes or points, because in our work it happens that we wont to highlight an area of the mesh with more colored overlaps.
Thanks,
Angelo Raffaele

Hi @Willem
thank you for response. We know italian’s forum but we want to bring our attention to american coders in order to develop a quicker metodology of documentation.
Angelo Raffaele

1 Like

I know that there is this plug-in:

@stevebaer, do you maybe want to pitch in regarding this?

Thanks guys.

1 Like