Do we need to have all G2 continuity (Class A) for product modelings (non automotive)?

Hi,
I use SOLIDWORKS or Rhino for modeling industrial and non-industrial products. Is it wise to keep all fillets and conjunctions in G2?

This question should be answered from your Industry Standards.

or project requirements

1 Like

I model not for manufacturing rather for visualization.

for visualization it depends on the detail. If you’re doing hi-res rendering afterwards and you need not to see knuckles perhaps G2 is a must.

1 Like

For visualization, which package do you recommend, SOLIDWORKS, Rhino or Catia?

CATIA and Rhino
version 6 on both.

If I choose one before the other this may trigger a huge discussion :smiley: I work on both.

1 Like

What about Alias?
Why people use Alias for automotive? Why is its user low?
Is it wise to use Alias for product modeling for example modeling a complex and hi res DSL camera?

for visualization I would suggest you try Blneder too depends on what kinda visualization

If you’re looking for smooth surfaces that will be fabricated. Choose CATIA and Rhino.

I don’t know Alias. But ask yourself why do Porsche, Wolkswagen, Citroen, Pegeout and so much more other use CATIA? Also Boeing and Airbus use CATIA.

1 Like

Polygonal modeling results in very bad models many times. For example how would you model a simple sphere which has lots of custom shape holes all over it? when you smooth it, you see how bad is your model. Or how you manage supporting loops on a model when details is going to increase. in such cases supporting loops create unwanted creased edges in many areas/

For this I will go with CATIA or Rhino+Grasshopper

1 Like

We don’t do this for all fillets. Fillets under 1.5 mm usually have g1. Cornerblends can have g1 at even greater size. That everything has to be at least G2, is a typical myth of class A. In the end its all about the reflection (Highlight). And having a little kink in the zebra at strongly-curved parts is not always a problem. G2 is a better transition, but can also lead to problems at the mid of a surface (if this surface is strongly-curved).
However we don’t use Solidworks, and in my understanding this is not the right tool regarding high-end surfacing. Cad platforms more suited to automotive class A are: (Catia) Icem Surf, Alias or with limitation → Catia ISD or Rhino with VSR (if you own that).

1 Like