Divide cone surface by distance

Hey,
I’ve been trying a few different ways with divide surface and isotrim to divide the surface of a cone i made but it divide the surface radial instead of a fixed distance. I have seen some other people using kangaroo1 to populate and give the points a set distance but i can’t figure it out. I am basically trying to perforate the cone with 3/8" holes at 9/16" spacing from center.

i appreciate the help.

I attached the rhino cone surface. let me know if i uploaded it correctly

thanks

cone surface.3dm (545.1 KB)

P.S. Updated with the dimensions you mentioned but you probably want a circle packing solution since the gaps between the rows on this asymmetric cone are not consistent.

perforate_cone_2021Feb19a.gh (18.9 KB)

This shifts the seam on each row to look more “random”, and uses fewer rows, but still the cone asymmetry causes the holes to be more widely spaced on one side. Look into circle packing!

perforate_cone_2021Feb19b.gh (28.1 KB)

Cone is internalized, no need for Rhino file.

Hey thanks for the reply, ive been messing with the script you sent but yeah it’s not quite right. I also have been looking into circle packing and it can get close as well but I can’t figure out a way to set a distance. ive messed with another script i found online with kangaroo and ive been trying to tweaked it but again i cant seem to set a fixed distance or to at least make the space between each the same. The correct size for the perforation is 3/8" diameter and spacing is 9/16" on center but I used a bigger size circle to just make it easier to mess with.

Here are the files

umbrella perforation.gh (130.7 KB) cone surface.3dm (537.3 KB)

Unfortunately, I haven’t paid attention to circle-packing models since the golf ball thread almost two years ago, so I don’t know how to keep the circles from crossing the boundary edge.

For what it’s worth, I made a few changes to your model. Data Dam (red group) “leaks” when you open the GH file so the slow part always executes once. What a drag!

perforate_cone_2021Feb22a.gh (29.2 KB)