Distribute Blocks to Layers...?

This command work here using the 5.0.2 build that was released yesterday. The command even auto-completes when entered into the command window.

http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino-for-mac/5/latest

Oh myā€¦I think I found part of the problem.
Iā€™m running an old Beta version. Itā€™s 5.0 Wenatchee from 2014.
Thatā€™s crazy. Iā€™m actually using a new Mac Pro, and I had no idea that there was such an old Beta. For years, Iā€™ve run and tested the older beta versions, and they always ā€œself-destructedā€ and prompted me to the next version, each time. But this old copy just opens up.

So, Iā€™m guessing this could explain a number of things, right? Looks like I need to buy the new version!

That would be the first thing to sort out, yesā€¦ =)

this one purges the block definitions-

ExplodeBlocksToLayers.py (2.8 KB)

-Pascal

1 Like

So, Iā€™m likely dead in the water with what I have, and need to buy the final (?) commercial release? Is that what 5.0.2 build is, from Daleā€™s link above? No more betas.

Can you use the evaluation version for now?

http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino-for-mac/5/evaluation

-Pascal

Okay. Iā€™m up and running with the 5.0.2 Evaluation.

I can also now get the ā€œrunpythonscriptā€ command to initiate. Howeverā€¦when I try the scripts you provided, I get a lengthy error message, and nothing still happens to the objects or layers.

Is it possible that this has more to do with the STEP file I imported, than anything else?

Are you allowed to select the object?
It worked here on the macā€¦ better give me the error message.

-Pascal

Would it be possible for me to email you a test project? Iā€™ve imported a smaller STEP file, so itā€™s a small, less complicated project. However, it still displays the core issues Iā€™m having with seemingly any of the STEP files that I try to process.

Send via private message, or via www.rhino3d.com/upload, to my attentionā€¦

-Pascal

Thank you. I just did so.

There are no block instances in that file- it appears theyā€™ve already been exploded. Send me the step file please.

-Pascal

I just sent you the original STEP.
But thatā€™s really strange, as I just opened the Rhino file I sent you, and by clicking on the object, it says ā€œone block instance added to selectionā€. And from there, if I ā€œexplodeā€ it reveals more block instances.

It worked here- open the step file, run the script, select the object, poof- lots and lots of nested layers under Defaultā€¦ Dunno if the names are super useful though.

-Pascal

I have no idea. I just sent you a screen grab of what happens when I do the following:

1. Start Rhino
  2. Open STEP file
  3. ā€œrunpythonscriptā€ command and select your script
  4. select block instance object
  5. hit ā€œenterā€
  6. what you see in the screen grabā€¦

I see- that looks like itā€™s choking in the RhinoscriptSyntax part - but I do not get that here. Iā€™ll investigate. Meantime, I will upload the layerized rhino file in case it is useful.

-Pascal

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the continued assistance. And yes, please do send the Rhino file back. While itā€™s just a single part to test this STEP issue, it would be extremely helpful for me to see at least the end result of how it should look, once your script works its magic!

Hi Pascal,
have you update the script?
It would useful also to me.

Thank you
Ivan

Hi Ivan - try this one -

ExplodeBlocksToLayers.py (4.4 KB)

Does that work any better?

-Pascal

1 Like

No, it creates the first level then I get this message

Thanks