Distance between points on curve

Here’s my real quickie halfarsed as can be macro for creating 2 points for use in mitch’s measurement script, and to use as reference points in the subcrv command.

The right click macro is for deleting the reference points.

The image is for the button. Real bad, but might get the job done.

The quickie button can go with your subcrv button, mitch’s script, etyc. Then just left click, make points, run mitch’s script using the ref points, and make subcrv with ref points, then right click button to delete the ref points.

Subcrv Ref pts

Left click

tooltip: SbCrv Ref Pts

! _point
pause
_sellast
_setobjectname pt49g5
_point
pause
_sellast
_setobjectname pt50g5

right click

tooltip: Delete Sbcrv Ref pts

! _-selname pt49g5
_delete
_-selname pt50g5
_delete

So, with three buttons next to each other. Subcrv 2 pts, mitch’s length between points script, and subcrv button would work pretty good in deciding lengths to split into subcrv’s.

Workflow1: make the proposed points, then use subcrv using those points Right click button to delete points
Workflow 2: make 2 points, use mitch’s script to measure distance between them, adjust your lengths how you see fit, enter length in subcurve dialog, keep or delete points with right click on button.

If you were playing with different lengths for a subcrv, the tiny little button with the 2 macros might come in handy.

I know, pathetic, overboard, and unneccessary!

hmm… i don’t think it works like that.

(although i guess it’s sort of confusing how it’s set up right now and could maybe use another fine tune?)

the readout and the length you can enter in the command are not the same thing…
if i click somewhere along the curve then enter a length, the subcurve will be made from my click point to my length point in whichever direction the preview subcurve is going (to me, this is awesome-- preview determining which way the thing will go)…

but, the other feedback is different in that it’s showing where the cursor is from the start point of the curve.

[edit]- or shoot… upon rereading what you wrote, i think we’re saying the same thing :confused:

How is a “normal” involved? The point of interest are on the starting curve.[

Ya, I dunno. Jeff, I sort of think were on the same page, but now I do see that what is the readout is not a curve length at all. My test curves were too small and I did not notice the difference between curve lengths and curve parameters. This is because I thought you stated above that the readout was in lengths. From what I see now they are curve parameters, or are still curve parameters.

The curve parameters are dependent on the normal. In either direction, the numbers 0-1 will go from 1 direction and whether the normal coincides with that side the numbers will be positive or negative.

I do indeed have some learning to do about the curve parameters shown by your cursor in the subcrv command, and what is shown down on the status bar.

Is there a way to change what is on the status bar? I swear this was in a thread a while back where I learned to change mt cursor tooltip to show lengths when I make a line or polyline.

There must be a way to change this in my status bar, and that’s why I’m all wacky.

ANyways, maybe disregard everything I posted.

ANyways the tiny little macro for making 2 points you can use with mitch’s script to measure between the 2 points you made. Then if it looks right, use that number from mitch’s script to enter in subcrv command. Then you can right click the button(made with left and right click macro) and delete the ref points.

Anyways, this might be handy with mitch’s script, and subcrv command to eye out propsed lengths, measure them, enter in subcrv by length instead of interactively, and delete the points when your done.

The readout by the cursor, and in the status bar is curve parameters or is not lengths(I am not even sure they are curve parameters), which isn’t helping you determine a length number to use in subcrv. That’s all.

ANybody know how to change the cursor tip in the subcrv command or the status panel to read curve lengths?

haha… i think you’re right… i’m now actually thinking nothing has changed afterall… :blush:

for whatever reason (well, i think it was from this thread), i didn’t think subCrv could do anything with actual length but then i realized it could… you could enter the desired length of the curve… but now i’m thinking that option was always there too…

so yeah, back at requesting subCrv gets a tune-up for v6 (or maybe it already has?)… could be a bit more useful tool.

In V6 the readout is distance in file units from the first point picked.

-Pascal

1 Like

Good to know, wanna remind me in a year? How about I use taskguru to remind me to remind you to remind me in a year?

fwiw, i was using subcrv on an arc prior to thread bumping which is when i thought something had changed…

apparently, with arcs (and linear curves), the parameter(or whatever that number is) coincides with the length because in with those types of curves, it works as described in the bump post.