Display turns black - what's going on?

Diasbled, restarted, didn’t help.
XNurbs can also be ruled out.
I have QuadMesh installed for a while, never caused this behaviour.

Another interesting issue:
when some nurbs objects are replaced with mesh the Save Display preview turns black.

FYI, XirusCAD != XNurbs.

Thanks! Got the file…

And as usual, everything is working fine here…even with all layers turned ON… I’ve tried all display modes too…they work as expected… Ugh… this means that finding this one now is going to be a lot more difficult. …still looking, but I’m pretty sure though that this is not an “object type” issue… I’m currently trying to find an AMD card here that has only 2GB. Given your scene and file, that should be plenty…but I want to try to get a system here configured to something as close as possible to yours. How many monitors do you use? What resolutions are being used?

By “turns black”, do you mean the entire viewport goes black? Or certain objects turn black?

Also, please try these one at a time…

1. Once things go black, does it remain black for any/all view manipulation? (i.e. Zoom, pan, rotate…) don’t turn anything On of Off, just try things that only act on the view and camera… Try doing something like SelAll followed by ZS (zoom selected)… Are you able to get rid of the “blackness” doing such actions? (EDIT: Also try maximizing and restoring the viewports as well as Rhino’s main window)

2. Once things go black, save the file, close Rhino. Now start Rhino and load the file you saved…are things still black?

3. Once things go black, are there any display mode settings you can make that brings it back? Note: This is not things like SkyLight or environment settings… I’m only talking about the settings found in the Display Settings pages for a given display mode…and also found in the Display panel tab. Also, are all display mode settings at their defaults when the blackness occurs?

4. Are you using any kind(s) of command(s) that alter the appearance of your views? This would be things like the GradientView command, which changes how the background is drawn/rendered. If so, does turning it/them OFF (undoing whatever it is they do), bring things back to normal?

WARNING Please make sure you have a backup of your file before doing the next step…
5) If you do a “SaveAs…”, and only check the “Save geometry only” option (i.e. uncheck everything else, especially the “Save plugin data”), then give the file a different name so that you’re not stepping on your original work…(i.e. add “_stripped” to the end of the file name), and then click the “Save” button… Now close Rhino. Start Rhino and load the “stripped” version of the file… Can you get things to go black? If so, which operations cause the blackness to occur?

That’s all for now…in the mean time, I’m going to be trying to put together a system here with similar specs.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hi Jeff

As you’ve suggested I have exported clean geometry only, resulting everything being on default layer.

The scene loads, all object seen in wireframe mode, then:

shaded - OK

rendered - OK, starts witch black screen then after 1-2 seconds displays correctly

ghosted - OK

artistic - OK

technical - OK

pen - OK

arctic - BLACK, zooming in, changing camera angle doesn’t help

raytraced - OK but with an extreme long loading time (orange bottom bar)

I have attached all my options exported in .ini file which inludes all display mode settings. Maybe this can help.

Regards

P

RH 6.14.ini (317 KB)

To make it even more confused.
I am saving images with castarted scenes and then merging pics in photoshop.
Sometimes, when setting the camera and target display mode, there are some glitches like fake transparency or objects on top of each other, but when I change the display mode for a while and then set it back to desired one, there is a great chance that display will return to normal.

Did you share the model that does this already with @jeff? If not can you please upload it at Rhino - Upload to Support (use this link and I get automatically notified when the upload is done). I’d like to investigate why load time is extremely long.

Yeah, I did it yesterday.

Ok, I’ll get it from him, thanks!

Hi Nathan
I am not sure, whether it is within scope of your responsibility but it would be worth looking into another problem:
once you have my file, please play with turning on and off the INTERIOR/SHELVES/BOOKS layer and observe dramatic drop of performane (at least here). I know it is a lot of objects (<50k) but there are mesh faces only.
P

Hi @Piotr,

I managed to investigate it earlier this morning. Indeed the 48k+ objects is the problem here. To have this scene start rendering fast also with Raytraced select all objects on your INTERIOR/SHELVES/BOOKS layer and use _Join to merge the 48k+ meshes into one. Once done that switching to Raytraced will be under 10 seconds or so.

As an aside, it is pretty useless to turn on the interior objects when they aren’t visible from the angle(s) you are rendering. Turn them off when they aren’t visible and save resources, make the rendering faster.

Yeah, I know the trick but each face has an individual colour to resemble stacked books on a shelves (see it in rendered mode). Once joined they will have one colour only.

I don’t see colors on the meshes

And even then I think you should be able to use a texture to accomplish that.

As an aside, it is pretty useless to turn on the interior objects when they aren’t visible from the angle(s) you are rendering. Turn them off when they aren’t visible and save resources, make the rendering faster.

C’mon Nathan, I wasn’t born yesterday :slight_smile:
There are cases like this, more complex, built on merging multiple images and this one is only single layer.

I see this in Rendered mode:

???
Check shaded then.

Right, shaded works - you are using display color, which is for modes like Wireframe, Shaded, Ghosted.

For rendering purposes (Rendered mode, Raytraced mode, Rhino Render, Brazil, etc) I’d simplify these books such that you’d have a simple plane per shelf that has a diffuse texture assigned with alpha channel. You can have then as many colors and sized-books as you want. Even with text on them.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Random books

Do you guys even sleep sometimes? :slight_smile:

@Piotr - I am having the same issue with the arctic display style, and just figured it out that turning off shadow magically shows everything back, even though the shadow is one of the reasons for the display style.