Display of surface invisible in rendered and shaded modes

In both 2014-05-19 and 2014-05-20 I’ve noticed an issue whereby one surface of a model I am working on is invisible in perspective mode using rendered or shaded – but only sometimes. When I rotate the model and look at it from the other side of the object I see the surface. I’ll upload a video to http://www.rhino3d.com/upload to show what I’m seeing. Below are three screenshots: the first showing the invisible surface, the second showing object from the opposite view and the third showing the previous, but in ghosted mode.

(John Brock) #2

You just sent an MP4 video instead of the file so all I can do is guess.
If I had they 3DM file, first I would run SelBadObjects and I would expect the polysurface to select.
If it did, I’d run ExtractBadSrf. Most likely the surface that isn’t generating a two-sided render mesh would extract.
Then go from there to fix the surface. Details for fixing bad objects are on the Wiki FAQ page.

Good luck

(Brian James) #3

Hi Al,

There was a surface edge with an issue causing the render mesh to not shade correctly. I believe it was one of circular cut outs. Select the whole model>Explode>RebuildEdges>Join and it should shade nicely for you.