Display mod ighting for Mesh (polygons)

Hi all!
The Shaded light mode for NURBS organized perfectly.
But if import a polygon mesh, it looks not legible. In this mode, the lighting is very difficult to understand the shape and plasticity.

Any Idea for ighting mode for polygonal models similar as is done in Bender or Zbrush?

Thanks

you could use an emap together with shadows…or skylight

Hi Clement!
Can demonstrate more complex model?

IMHO use reflection map is not suitable. Impossible to work in this mode - This trash
Is it possible to achieve the desired realism by lighting scheme without using specular map? As it did the Pixologic?

Well, I guess zb displays your geometry with vertex based ambient occlusion. The closest you could get with built in Rhino options is to assign a hdr map as skylight and layer an environment map with small intensity in the material properties. Below is an image showing only skylight using an hdr map. You have to fiddle with the hdri multiplier and tonemapping settings a bit…work in rendered display mode with shadows enabled.

sorry my model does not has much detail…

to get vertex based ambient occlusion into Rhino is another story. I use meshlab server to built the occlusion and a custom importer for ply files. @jeff how about adding this to Rhino6 ? It takes a tenth of a second to generate using VBOs… :wink:

just an idea…

c.

1 Like

Thank Сlement!! Now I understand what you mean.
You shared “zmap.png” map of Zebra.
I tried it, impressive model looks almost like in a Zb :slight_smile:
How did you pull it from the material Red Wax?
Where are the reflection maps in the Zb?
I want to experiment with this.

Sorry i do not use zb but you can find more materials if you search with google`s image search using “zbrush materials” or “sculptris materials” as search term. There are a lot of free ones floating around in the forums as well…

often i create just a sphere, make a screenshot and smear some color behind :smile: The one above i´ve found years ago online but i forgot where it exactly was. Sorry for not giving credit to this genious person…

good luck ! :sunny:

c.

Dear developers!
I have reviewed and understood how is possible to achieve highly realistic for Meshes.

Firstly. Mehs Edges (creases) painted gradient (used object color) And those corners, with more acute angles painted more clearly. Those edges that are painted with a large angle is less noticeable. With this admission form looks more realistic.

Second.I also analyzed the light and shadow. I drew attention to the areas that are a little deeper than the main surface (dents) have a slightly graying (without shine and reflections).

in this image you can see how great works gradient for Mesh Edges

In this image I want to show how you can get stuff like blue patina. Note the second image. There clearly show that these effects are directly dependent on the colors of the edges (gradient)

I’ve been doing different settings to display the mesh in Rhino.
Great that there is an opportunity to show the edges.
It is a pity that their settings are limited.

Great that there are preferences for the shadows. But sorry that can not configure the shade saturation and color for just dented surfaces.

May I hope that you are interested in my proposal?
And will add these innovations in next release Rhino 5?

Thanks,
leex

Nothing like this will be added for Rhino 5. Development for Rhino 5 has stopped. Service releases will only contain bug fixes. I have put your request on the wish list for Rhino 6.

Added to wish list: http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-25521

Thank you Margaret!
But unfortunately I cannot pass on your link.
There is no possibility to register online.

When can we expect the first release of Rhino 6?

We hope to have a beta out in a few weeks. However, don’t expect this feature to appear any time soon.

No WIP phase this time?

Hi leex, it is called cavity shading which allows to darken (or color) convex areas of your mesh depending on the convex angle between mesh normals. You might be able to bring this into Rhino from zb via texture baking. The resulting map may then be assigned to your imported geometry in Rhino.

c.

Thanks for your answers :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t know what we are calling it. It’s probably a WIP for the first rounds.