Display issue after Rhino reinstall - extremely slow mesh wires (SOLVED)

I sent it to Jeff@mcneel.com
now re-uploaded to tech@mcneel.com

Do you still have the 6.13.19021.12581 installer on your system?

I looked here: C:\ProgramData\McNeel\McNeelUpdate\DownloadCache
but no, I don’t think it is there, sorry

If not, see if you can get this one:

http://files.mcneel.com/dujour/exe/20190121/rhino_en-us_6.13.19021.12581.exe

I would do a complete uninstall of whatever version you have installed first… reboot, then install 6.13.19021.12581

Wow. that solved it! Great catch. Thanks for breaking and and then helping to solve it! :wink:

Still nothing… and sending it to tech might not make it to me either. I guess I’ll just start testing with some large mesh objects I already have.

-J

Ok, but I’m still not sure my change is what broke it…most likely it is, but I’d like to make sure it is definitely my change by running the same test(s) you are. I ran speed tests and benchmarks on my change (always do), and I did not catch this…so I’m wondering why.

-J

If you make a mesh box and array it 80 x 80 x 80 times and join it should starts slowing down.
But I PM-ed you the file link on Dropbox if it makes it easier to test…let me know if you see the issue…
For now I am very happy you pinpointed the SRs issue - I had no clue SR12 and SR13 can have it and an in-between SR13 daily build would not. I thought SR12s would always have earlier changes, but what do I know…

@Jarek The latest SR12 RC has the fixes to both the issues you mentioned here… give me a shout if something else seems busted :wink:

Thanks,
-Jeff

To be more exact…

Version 6 SR12
(6.12.19023.17101, 1/23/2019)

Hmmmm…hold on… that can’t be right.

Don’t do anything yet…unless you already have :slight_smile:
-J

Ok…sorry for the cluster runaround… That does look like the correct version… I was just taken back by the timestamp…but I guess it’s correct.

-J

Hi Jeff, great to hear. So is it the latest daily build? Somehow the daily builds recently were marked as SR13, so not sure if what you refer to is a separate SR12 track? Would you be able to send a link to that specific one for manual download?

–jarek

The one with auto-download here is: rhino_en-us_6.13.19024.06251.exe
Is that one safe to install ?

No… “daily” builds are basically the result of what every developer is currently typing on…and can contain some risky code… it’s basically what will become the next version of Rhino…but it can be extremely unstable (as you’ve experienced).

You’ll see the different release phases that can exist in Rhino’s “Updates and Statistics” dropdown. What you really probably want is “Service Release Candidate” if you want to get SR12 RC… If you have “Trunk(Daily)” selected, then you’ll be receiving builds that will eventually be the “next” version of Rhino, which in this case is 6.13.xxxxx, but as mentioned, may also contain some code that’s just not ready for public use yet.

That being said, fixes and changes made to RCs are rolled into the latest source, so the 6.13.xxxx version you reference above will/should also have the fixes in it…just keep in mind that it also may contain code that might not work well for certain cases/reasons.

So you can get the 6.13.xxxx build and your issues will be fixed… but depending on time crunches and work schedules, working with RCs might be a safer route…some users don’t even like that, and opt to use only the “Service Release” option…it sounds like you’ve been out there on the edge working with daily releases…which can be a risky path to take, but in this specific case, it caught a bug that normally wouldn’t have been found until probably the next release cycle.

-J

I realized I didn’t really answer your question…just a bunch of blabbering on my part…

If you want the SR12 RC, then I would select “Service Release Candidate” and then click on the “Check Now” link below it… that should take you to the latest SR RC installer.

-J

Hi @jeff

thanks for the detailed explanations - it all makes sense now. I started having the daily builds enabled when working with Andy and John C. on Layer materials panel issues that they were fixing daily and it kind of stayed that way, and I occasionally downloaded the new daily build from there, several times catching a pre-RC bugs. But as you mentioned it is probably not very smart to do it when working on deadlines since there is always a risk something like the recent one we caught will set me back a day or so.
Having said that, currently having a daily build of SR13xxx installed, I don’t think I can get access to SR12RC via auto download, since Rhino thinks I already have newest build available (checking manually says I have the latest one):
rc
Neither Service Release Candidate or Service Release (Daily) would let me download SR12RC if I have SR13xxx installed. So I guess I would just wait until the SR13(Trunk Daily) has the fixes you mentioned and update then :slight_smile:

–jarek

Or…

I pull my head out and just supply you with the link directly :man_facepalming:

But since you have a “future” release installed…Rhino won’t let you go backwards…so you’re going to have to manually uninstall the currently installed Rhino…then install the one from here:

http://files.mcneel.com/dujour/exe/20190123/rhino_en-us_6.12.19023.17101.exe

-J

Thanks!! I did the above so many times trying to fix the mesh problem, that I won’t even notice one more try :wink: