Dispatch rows and columns

I’m trying to select rows and columns organized with data structure, Still I have not very clear how to organize the data with Tree components .someone can help me?

Dispatch rows and columns.gh (6.4 KB)

I’m not sure what you’re trying to do but that’s not how ‘Dispatch’ works.

Have a look at this. It includes a ‘Tree/List Viewer’ utility that makes it easy to examine data trees of geometry. Choose “rows” or “columns” to see the output of ‘SDivide’ raw (as rows) or via ‘Flip matrix’ (as columns). In either case, the ‘path idx’ slider lets you choose a branch of the tree (in blue) and the ‘list idx’ slider lets you choose an item (in yellow) in that branch.

rows_and_columns_2018Jan23a.gh (20.2 KB)

1 Like

Explode Tree will put all branches (or ‘rows’ if you will) into different outputs, but it’s not a good component to use if the number of branches is variable. Flip Matrix will swap rows and columns in a rectangular tree.

it helps to study thank you I have a doubt, I have organized my data but neither point is selected how I can get it? Is very dumb I need more practice in data structure and its components

I want organize data in this way assume is very easy I need more practice :persevere:

You certainly do.

1 Like

Depends on your particular definition of easy I guess.

If at present all points are at index=0, then you have to start merging branches. How that works depends on how they are organised. Eventually once you have your points properly organised in columns, it will then be easy to convert it into rows using Flip Matrix.

I’m in the middle of a meeting now, but I can have a look in a while. Is @Joseph_Oster’s file from an hour ago not working for you?

1 Like

Well it select rows but not my entire column - False - forgot the value list is working, even i would like see your example

It sounds good maybe if you have time could share an example

What? Did you try the ‘Value List’ switch (green below) to change from rows to columns?

Do you understand this code example at all? Have you searched the forum for examples of how ‘Dispatch’ is used correctly?

take it easy It works perfectly I just forgot the value list To be honest yesterday I used it form first time so I thought the yellow point just select one item and not my column :relaxed:

@Joseph_Oster
Why I dont got any points selection, and custom color shows error, independently what is in those branches I must have something selected, what is the metod to have the selection into the second group.

I apologyse if I despair you.

rows_and_columns_ no selection.gh (20.5 KB)

You’ve been here awhile, started many threads and received help from a lot of people, yet I see no evidence whatsoever that you have the slightest degree of understanding or aptitude for Grasshopper.

The best way to do that is to ignore you completely, and I will try harder to do that. Quite honestly, I responded to this thread today before realizing it was you asking the question. My mistake.

P.S. Read the error message on the red ‘Preview’ component:

I’m learning man, You responded to 2 post mine this one (I appreciate
it) and Removing inner intersections which to be honest did not help anything until ErickVasquez answered, you achieve the way to did it and you are been here time long ago.

In another cases no matter how many do you know about grasshopper if you don’t have notion, idea, how to achieve a nice Design:
http://islandcad.com/proa_sketches_Rhino_CAD/grasshopper_hulls/index.html
http://islandcad.com/marine/tender/

No nice shape, Bad renders, but it is not the point.
Whatever thanks for your help

Equally for you, there a lot a people here who want to help to other people independently of their skills, being less arrogant. :v:

Hi Joseph,

I tried to implement your advice on a test where I used the dispatch component to divide a list with a [True,False] pattern.

My next step was to remove Rows and Columns from the list with a similar pattern. As I am still learning how to sort through trees and data, I’m not sure why when I use the dispatch component again, although I have an input of a [True,False] pattern, the result that is returned is a [True,True,False,False] pattern ( for the rows). I’m encountering the same problem for the vertical columns as well

TrueFalse_SkipPattern_Help_Trial02_111719.gh (24.2 KB)

The first mistake I see is flattening the output of Rectangular, which was already organized in columns and rows.

I’m not entirely clear about your objective?

how to then Cull: Rows & Columns by a True | False Pattern?

But one thing I try to avoid on this forum is putting too much effort into rescuing someone who has painted themselves into a corner by going down a dubious path.

Is this helpful? If not, please illustrate more clearly what you want?

TrueFalse_SkipPattern_2019Nov17a.gh (15.6 KB)

Slight variation, swapping the X and Y inputs to Rectangular:

Joseph! Thank you for the tips, I was able to figure out an iteration that I had in mind originally, and I’m currently playing around with different versions. Very good tip with the average component; I did not know that one yet.

Here is a re-upload!

TrueFalse_SkipPattern_Updated_2019Nov17a.gh (26.7 KB)

Your attached GH file failed for some reason? I’m curious to see what you had in mind.

I would say the trickiest part of the model I posted is using Repeat Data and Partition so the ’True/False’ cull pattern is reversed on each column.

OK, now that I can see the pattern you want, only a few small adjustments to what I posted before are needed. The duplicate code paths you used aren’t necessary.

TrueFalse_SkipPattern_2019Nov17b.gh (17.5 KB)

Dispatch is not used for this. By the way, those two sliders for ‘Extent X’ and ‘Extent Y’ have upper limits of 1000, which can easily result in accidental settings that are SLOW.

It is so easy to over complicate a script or slow it down - this is really nice to see a cleaner version. I think I suffer from clogging my files up that way.

Very helpful Joseph thank you.