I wanted to discuss methods of linking multiple files(Or other methods) to keep two separate files linked. Our current workflow is as such:
- Start design process with Rhino+VisARQ sketching getting close to a final design.
- Design Approval
- Branch design file into two files; one Simple and one Detailed
- In the detailed file, redefine all building components to desired level of detail(For us this means 1:50)
- Keeping the other file simple with all generic walls and slabs, correcting thicknesses to match construction(This file we use for all 1:100 and over exports)
- Sometimes we even branch off another file for rendering and other visualization.
But… This means that as changes come rolling in(as they always do) We now have twice the upkeep, one for the detailed file and one for the simplified “design” file. Also this means that when printing PDF’s we either have to copy the exploded detailed sections into the design file or vice versa.
What are your workflows?