Discrete Laplacian

I’m able to view @laurent_delrieu 's original definition but in his second example, and yours I get the following errors: I do have Plankton libraries in my Grasshopper/Libraries folder.

Can you make sure the assembly reference location you have set when you right click and Manage Assemblies is the same location as your libraries folder (not anything in downloads).

I guess this is “progress”. Now I’m getting this message:

That message can be ignored. Just press the reset button to start it.

It’s alive! Thanks Daniel. Now I just have to figure out what’s happening in its innards.

I just finished a semester teaching Keenan Crane’s Discrete Differential Geometry class, and it left me wanting to implement his whole machinery in Rhino/Grasshopper. Probably the worst way to do this will be in Python, but it’s the language I’m most comfortable with. Should still be possible, since there are some Sparse matrix solvers available through the math.net framework. (See the discussion here: Math.Net function in Python with Rhino for Mac?).

Probably won’t get to this until the Fall, but I’d be happy if someone else did it before me!

Well. my Python skills are still pretty rudimentary, but if you get around to making Crane’s work accessible to Grasshopper, you’ll have done humanity a great service – and me too! BTW, what programmatic resources were you using to teach this course, if not Python?

Hi David, that would be nice - more mesh processing tools are always good!
Happy to talk more if you need any help.

@akilli - Do you have an example of an application where there’s something you want to use the Laplacian for?

By the way, for all of you into mesh operators - some of the classes and talks for this year’s SGP conference are now available. These 2 are interesting:

here’s the full graduate summer school playlist:

2 Likes

Here an example of the geodesic heat method from Crane,Weischedel and Wardetzky.

Flowing heat from a point source using the cotan weighted Laplacian:

Taking the gradient of this:

Finally, normalising this vector field and calculating the corresponding scalar potential, and contouring it to get curves at the same geodesic distance from the point:

No sparse solver library required, just simple iteration :slight_smile:
(certainly using a matrix solver could make it much faster, but it’s quite nice to be able to watch it doing its thing)
heat
I’ll post the files soon.

21 Likes

Wow, this is simply awesome!
I have been digging into Crane’s work recently during my research about automatic knitting pattern generation. All the geodesic and vector field operations would come in VERY handy in doing this, I’m especially intrigued about the stripe pattern generation. Have been trying to understand the concepts since then and been looking for gh-compatible and open-source implementations but haven’t found anything I could work with, yet.

It would be absolutely awesome if you could share the files - I would love to actually get a glimpse of understanding about how these mathematical papers are actually implemented. I’m not a mathematician and thus I’m lacking the proper knowledge how to read certain formulas, etc. :confused: Reading code (i.e. C# or Python) would make things a lot easier (I could imagine I’m not the only one for whom this is true).

PS: I think my main problems understanding these things are what a cotan weighted laplacian actually is, how to calculate it? Aswell as how to work with vector fields on meshes, creating them, normalising them, taking gradients, creating contours. All this seems some kind of black magic to me but I’m sure it actually isn’t. If anyone could point me in a direction where I can read up about these concepts in an understandable manner I would be really, really grateful! (really!)

2 Likes

Did you see this article about knitting. They use one of my script for geodesic distance calculation.

My script could be replaced by this plugin
https://www.food4rhino.com/app/geodesic-heat-method
But it will be very useful to have a rhinocommon implemented geodesic distance

2 Likes

No, didn’t see that actually! And I thought I had found almost anything regarding that topic :wink: But there’s always some things you don’t find, I guess!

My approach is quite similar. I don’t use geodesics for creating the contours (yet) but I also stumbled about your geodesic script when I was earlier in the process (very nice by the way!). My approach is currently based on the work of Mariana Popescu. As far as I can tell, a similar logic is also used in the paper you linked.

I think the Stripe Patterns approach by Crane could be a big improvement when dealing with knitting, as the stripe patterns basically imply the short rows needed for 3d-knitting.

I hope I have not gone too far off-topic with this. If so, my apologies!

For stripes pattern you can use directional reaction diffusion using direction from geodesic iso distance.
The only problem of my reaction diffusion is that it need a good triangular mesh. Because I didn’t use the cotan weigh …

If you look in the first example file I posted above - cotanweight_example.gh and inside the function:
double[] cotanWeights(PlanktonMesh P, int i)
you can see how these weights can be calculated. It looks at a single vertex of the mesh and the ring of connected neighbouring vertices, and returns an array of scalar values, one for each of these surrounding vertices.

One simple way of thinking about it is as a way of weighting the vertices so that they properly take into account the areas of the triangles.
Say we are looking at a vertex surrounded by a ring like this:
If we have a value on each of the surrounding vertices and we take a simple unweighted average of these values (by just adding up all their values and dividing by how many of them there are), then the right side would have a much bigger influence, because there are more vertices bunched together there, even though the total area of the triangles is fairly symmetrically distributed around the central vertex.
If we are trying to average some property over the surface area of the mesh, this simple uniform average causes unwanted distortion, depending on the mesh quality, as you can see with the way the colours on spread on the left in that first animation.
So instead we can calculate weightings to multiply the surrounding vertices by the area that ‘belongs’ to that connecting edge. Using the cotangent of the tips of the 2 adjacent triangles to the edge is just a geometric way of calculating this area:

(also, if you are confused why you don’t see any actual calls to trig functions in the code of my function - it’s because the cotangent of 2 vectors can be calculated efficiently by taking their dot product divided by their cross product)

7 Likes

Hi Daniel. Can you post the files for this? Thanks!

Hi David,

I posted the definition from above, and further explorations, in this thread:

Thanks for all this work, Daniel. The Heat Method definitions from the above page are incredibly useful in so many different ways.

I was also really impressed by the ‘Contour’ part that turns UV texture coordinates into Line geometry.

I wanted to follow this up here as I was trying to search for an implementation of the Stripe Patterns paper shared above. It creates really beautiful detail and Crane’s implementation is completely independent from the mesh resolution, which allows one to create very large pattern detail without compromising the shape. The actual pattern is encoded in texture coordinates again.

From running the executable from the website I generated this mesh and used your contouring routine to see if I could generate the line pattern from the texture coordinates and it almost works.

20200804 Stripe Pattern Bunny Contours.gh (472.6 KB)

Here is the texture file

Hi Mathias,
Yes - the stripe patterns paper is nice too.
It’s been a while since I read it properly, and I just skimmed through it again now, but I believe the reason simple contouring doesn’t work is that it isn’t a single consistent scalar field, but rather a double-cover.

For each pair of adjacent triangles, the directions of the field given by their texture coordinates are either parallel or anti-parallel. If you use a texture which isn’t the same when you rotate it half a turn (like the one you use is), this is shown clearly - the direction of colour change aligns, but flips between positive and negative arbitrarily across edges:

The contouring would have to be adapted to take account of this - the paper does go into this, but I’d need to read it more thoroughly.
I think it’s something fairly simple though - even just taking contours at 0 and 1 seems to get a lot closer:

StripePatternContours.gh (462.9 KB)
The triangles containing singular points of the field also need a special treatment.

(note there’s no need for all that extraction and reassigning of values to texture coordinates you had in that definition - my contouring script is already using the texture coordinates as the scalar values, just that I’d been assigning them in the Y component, while that file had them stored in the X, so I just switched it)

I’m actually also working on some new stuff with my own code making use of branched double covers. Will update more on that soon.

2 Likes

Stunning!

These iso values are even more complete and almost make the junctions work…

1 Like

Ah, it seems the values just need to be in steps of 1/n and symmetric about zero
StripePatternContours2.gh (467.9 KB)

3 Likes