Disabled file export plug-ins still populate the export file-type dialog

Due to unfortunate plug-in clashes, I found out that when I disable one of our file export plug-ins, that the file types it declares are still available on the Save/Save As/Export dialog file type chooser. If the user then selects a file type from the disabled plug-in, the error message is as follows:

It would I think be much more useful, and more aligned with expected behavior, if disabled export plug-ins do NOT populate the dialog file types list.

1 Like

Dear all,

As a complement it also seems to interfere with the automatic detection of file extension when using the command-line macro:

-_Export filename.ext

The extension from the disabled plug-in is also still detected.

Best regards,
Nathan

1 Like

The obvious fly in the ointment is then how would you enable them if they are not on the list anymore?

You enable/disable the plug-in, and the plug-in (if enabled) populates the list of file-types. No ointment/fly situation, but maybe I misunderstand.

The ultimate goal is to disable a file export plug-in completely, such that its file type is no longer interfering with another file type that is “lower on the list”. Especially in scripted export commands, the first available plug-in for a file extension is used, even if multiple export plug-ins can handle the file type.

Sorry for the wall of text, but it is related to this existing issue
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-55168

Most plug-ins in Rhino are demand loaded. They only load up and use memory if you call them.
If the plug-ins RHP file exists on disc, then it get’s on the list of available plug-ins.
The only way to get them off the list entirely is to delete or move them.
Then they not only aren’t available, they can’t even be seen.

Ok, that is how it now works and I can confirm that if I rename, delete or move the RHP file it no longer populates the file types list.

But conceptually, when I disable a plug-in from the Tools > Options > Plug-Ins menu, I don’t expect it to still advertise its file types in the save dialog (even after Rhino is restarted with the plug-in disabled). This is the feature request / bug I’m referring to.

That is the list of file types registered with the Windows.
I don’t think Windows provides a mechanism to dynamically modify that list on the fly.
If there were a way, I suspect it would be a major coding project.
I’ll be honest, since this isn’t a commonly requested issue, I doubt it will get much priority.
I do not want to raise expectations.

1 Like

This sounds reasonable to me; I added this to YT
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-58904

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the issues in YT.

To make sure with you guys, there is currently no workaround to specify explicitly the file type during export using one of the following:

• -_Export command-line
  • a Rhino Python command

Right?

Best regards,
Nathan

I don’t understand your question. Could you please elaborate?

Hello - if you give a file name with extension, Rhino should know what to do.

-Pascal

Right now even if the plug-in mentioned by @menno is enabled/disabled, the file types are listed as possible exports. One, in particular, uses the *.stl extension, let’s call it PlugInStereolithography (*.stl)

If I run:
-_Export filename.stl
I cannot choose to use the Stereolithography (*.stl) from Rhino, it automatically uses PlugInStereolithography (*.stl) instead.

Is there a way to force the use of a specific file type (here Stereolithography (*.stl))?
E.g.:
-_Export _FileType=Stereolithography filename.stl

Or maybe a Rhino Python command?
E.g.:
rs.ExportSTL("filename.stl")

Best regards,
Nathan