Disable enter repeat command on right mouse button

I have this set to 300 at present - it seems to work ok most of the time as far as disabling enter goes on my ancient laptop…
…but this whole thing is ridiculous! Why is there this almost religious insistence on hard coding “enter” all over the place, instead of simply allowing the user to CHOOSE whether they want this behaviour or not?
Please can this be addressed within V6 before it is released.???

Thanks
rabbit

3 Likes

Thanks John, I’ll give that a go.

No, still driving me nuts. Whatever setting or delay I use, it still fires up the last command 2 or 3 times out of 5. I can’t see ANY benefit for this option, but I understand there will be others who find it useful. BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a way of disabling it completely. OFF. Disconnected. Not working under any circumstances unless I turn it on specifically.

Please.

Thank you in advance.

Please.

There you go. I finish typing, back out to Rhino, move the mouse and I am instantly back here on the forum…

Jeez this is frustrating beyond measure!!! I’ve been a Rhino user since it was on a freebie demo disc on the front of Computer Arts magazine, and this is far and away the most irritating feature I have ever experienced!!

Please fix it. PLEASE!!!

Tim

See my post in Serengeti: disable right mouse button repeat workaround…

cheers
rabbit

( this post )

I tried to use another mouse and it helped for me. Apparently a small hesitation/fail of your mouse RMB can cause all these frustrations…

1 Like

BUMP, This is very frustrating, been using Rhino for close to 8 years.
Please add turn off right click repeat command, or remap button, before I throw my mouse through the screen.

1 Like

1 Like

Further investigation, this may be a slightly faulty mouse. Appear to have much more issue in rhino though. Would still be good to have this option in the though.

1 Like

Fwiw, in almost all cases where this is a problem, a failing mouse that has a worn out RMB is the culprit.

RMB takes a beating in rhino and I personally go thru a mouse every year or so… seeing this behavior is usually the sign it’s time to replace it.

1 Like

Well, there is a magic menu in the Rhino options that lets you disable repeating of specific commands. The only negative thing is that you have to manually include all the commands you don’t want to repeat, instead of having a dedicated tickbox for “Don’t repeat any command”. It may take you several minutes to include all the commands you want to “ban”, but then you will be happy that Rhino is doing exactly what you want. :slight_smile:

Sorry, but this post misses the point:

We don’t want to disable repeating of commands, we want to disable repeating commands via the right mouse button.

Having commands repeat via enter or spacebar is great; having them repeat via the right mouse button, which is already fully gainfully fully employed manipulating the 3D view, in one of the greatest strokes of interface brilliance ever, is incredibly counter-productive.

(The same mis-guided thought process that hi-jacked the TAB key to swap modes in SUB-D, even though that key has plenty of legitimate work to do already…)

Honestly, I just fail to see why its such a big deal to simply add this as an option to the mouse options: -

Use right mouse button as enter - yes / no

Like it the way it is? - great, no problem, - even let the default be yes, but, without going into it all over again, some of us hate it, and it is a continual thorn in the side.

Who was it that said that its not the big things that derail an endeavor, but the small pebble in the shoe constantly irritating and distracting…?

cheers
rabbit

1 Like

This could be the easiest fix, if only it was that easy:

1 Like

A quick side note to this one: we successfully lobbied for TAB to be customizable in V7 - you can configure it from Keyboard menu. Yay : )

1 Like

I would just like to voice the other view, so it doesn´t seem it´s only a problem. I honestly like the RMB behaviour. But having an option to disable it wouldn´t hurt anybody.

Ah, alas - this has option been removed in V8. :frowning:

That’s weird, for some reason it was moved to Advanced options:

Looks like RMA badly wants users to keep it as SubD toggle…this will be very hard to discover for most users. I personally think it should be back in Keyboard Config.

1 Like

Hi Jarek -

Not really. It’s a bug (RH-69990 Keyboard: Tab missing on the key list) that hasn’t found it way to the top of the prioritization list quite yet.
-wim

1 Like

Adding to this and the ridiculous Space = Enter means you cannot write scripts where the user inputs a string with spaces unless you put " " around it, which of course nobody does.

A way to disable RMB = Enter and Space = Enter for those who are fine just pressing Enter would be greatly appreciated.

In a scripting context when we use rs.GetString the whole Space = Enter thing should be disabled during that command, because it does nothing but cause problems or need for weird workarounds.

You can always count on McNeel to come up with their own definitions of User Experience. Usually things that were decided by some dev years ago and now seem to be carved in stone.

1 Like