DIR not working anymore

Suddenly I can’t change the direction of surfaces anymore, is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Update: seems to work with other shapes, just one shape keeps acting strange. When I explode the shape I can change the direction of each surface but after joining they switch again.

(Brian James) #2

Dir is working as expected here… do you have a file or surface you can upload?

Thanks, here’s the shape. I’ve OffsetSrf this shape, and then want to flip direction.

dir.3dm (366.0 KB)

(Brian James) #4

Solids will always have the normals pointing out. What is your ultimate goal in wanting to flip the normals? Dir is working correctly on both objects as I see it.

strange, with all other objects I get the option to “flip all”, only this single one which is made exactly as all the rest doesn’t get the option, I get the dir dialogue but not the “flip all” option, so the dir doesn’t do anything actually. I am I need to render it as a part of a soap bubble and I need thickness, cutting them in half and using shell shows the the cut in transparent rendering.

it’s a solid… normals will always point out (as brian said)

try to run the Flip command on it and you’ll get a message ‘cannot flip closed solid’

(Wim Dekeyser) #7

I suppose you will be using the Rhino render to render this?
You could try the following trick:

Thanks guys, I am rendering in C4D with vray.
I’ll manually flip the faces in C4D.

Is there any reason why solids can’t be hollow? Thinking about 3d printing…