Dimensions features

Hi @lowell,

First I am really happy about the new associative dimensions you are currently working on.

I would have one feature request. When a dimension is not able to keep its relation to the object it is dimensioning, we currently get the generic warning “The … command broke history on x objects”. Would it be possible to add an option, that dimensions that cannot keep their history intact will get deleted. A warning should tell us about the cause of the deletion for each dimension, provide a clickable list that lets us inspect the dimension to be deleted in the viewport, delete it or discard. Please see the attached screenshot of one of the big A CAD programs.

The reason for preferring deletion over losing history is, that no dimension is better than a wrong dimension on a drawing. A wrong dimension in architecture can get us in real legal trouble, no dimension just causes some questions during execution.

Thanks for looking into this.
Silvan

Spurious History Break Warnings
(Lowell Walmsley) #2

Hi Silvan - Thanks for the thoughtful explanation. I agree that it’s a good thing to do.
I’m not sure yet how much work it will be to get the information collected to do it right until I look at it more carefully, and I will do that. I can do that pretty soon and when something useful actually gets done will depend on what shows up.
For now, I’ll make a wish list item to keep track.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-40008