Dimension properties crashing

This has been occurring with every version of Rhino V7. When I go to Options for Dimensions, the program stalls or locks up. For instance, I’ll click on Annotation Styles and see that Default is active. Then selecting “Default” to bring up all the options makes it freeze. If it doesn’t crash at that point, the window reacts incredibly slowly and will even jitter a bit while scrolling up and down through the various options.
Thinking this has something to do with built-in templates. Thoughts?

You have not sent in any crash reports with your email address and description.

We have no way to guess what’s going on.

Repeat the crash, and in the Rhino crash reporting tool (cartoon Rhino with a deflated beachball), enter your email address and describe what steps caused the crash.

Thanks

Posting your Rhino “SystemInfo” command details might help too:

Thank you! I’ll do that next time it flips out. Here is system info until then:

Rhino 7 SR15 2022-2-8 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22039.13001, Git hash:master @ 2833e18992fc4b5cf99bb29c4d8e8add4f02074d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-02-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 (NVidia) Memory: 5GB, Driver date: 10-13-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 472.39
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #2

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-13-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7239
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 5 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

The only bad thing I see is you are running 3 monitors and only have enough VRAM for 1 screen.

The System Requirements state you need 4 GB VRAM for each standard resolution monitor.
You might try booting with only one monitor connected and see if that sorts it.

What??? I just had this Dell Precision built up and thought I had way more than enough power to run 3 screens. Where did I mess that up? Running 2 32" 4K Ultrasharp monitors and a Cintiq. Shouldn’t a 5GB video card be able to run that?

I’m confused. Thanks so much for all your help with this!

No.
For each high resolution monitor, you need 8GB VRAM.
For 3, you’ll need 24GB VRAM.
That’s a pretty fancy GPU.

Maybe the VRAM can be upgraded.
I’d try it with one monitor to see that works.

I would agree that 5Gb is probably woefully inadequate for 3 4K screens. That being said (and we’ve had this conversation before) the recommendation for 8Gb for a 4K monitor as a minimum requirement I find extreme. My personal rule of thumb is 1K=1Gb. So for a normal HD (2K) monitor, 2Gb should work, for a single 4K monitor 4Gb should work, and for two 4K monitors 8Gb should work. Remember, we’re taking about minimum requirements here, not “better” or “best”.

I use this rule of thumb based on personal experience over the last 10 years or so. I have a couple of 2012 vintage laptops with 2Gb cards on which I run Rhino 7 - I recently lent two of them out to students in my class whose computers had problems (that’s why I keep them actually) and they were perfectly adequate for basic modeling stuff, including some rather heavier terrain models.

My former workstation had a 4Gb card with which I ran 2 HD monitors continuously for the last 4-5 years. My current laptop has a 4K screen driven by a 4Gb card; and I often connect that one to an external beamer as well.

Finally my current workstation has a 12Gb card and I am running 2 4K monitors with it.

Sum total of all the video-overload crashes I have had over the years on all of these machines: Zero. Although I have certainly had crashes, I have never found any related to overstressing the video card.

Just as a lark, I made an array of 1000 spheres meshed with “smooth and slower”, and put one Rhino instance on each of my two screens with the file in Perspective/Shaded maximized and ran Turntable in both at the “25” setting. Certainly this maxed out the card’s capacity and I didn’t get the 25 rpm on both, but neither instance crashed. I tried to capture a video of it, but my video cap software won’t do 2 4K screens. Below is a screenshot, both files were turning. You can see the GPU is at 100% load.

So I will stand by my 1K=1Gb personal value. The minimum requirements page for Rhino for windows states " 4 GB Video RAM or more recommended." But it doesn’t say anything about monitors to run on that.

1 Like

Very insightful!! Please correct me if I’m mistaken (I’m not a computer pro but know enough,) but I think we’re talking about different things. I’m running a Dell Precision 5280 with i9, Nvidia Quadro P2000 5gb and 64GB of RAM. So, it says 73.2GB virtual memory. Running 2x 32" 4K monitors and a small cintiq. This thing smokes Keyshot renderings. I’ve run Rhino on some pretty paltry computers over the years.

So are you saying this system is actually inadequate? I’d be shocked if so, but maybe it is.

The only way you will know is to run only one monitor and see if you get crashes. If not, and reconnecting a second monitor causes them to happen again, then that is the problem.

I would also check the Cintiq drivers, they might be causing the problem; I might try running without that connected and see if the crashes stop.