Dimension in V5 and V6

Hi

Thanks guys.

Rhino.options.opengl.usehardwaredriver is set as TRUE.

Thanksā€¦this is a very strange problemā€¦Weā€™re probably going to have add some specific debugging diagnostics and/or test commands that will help us isolate whatā€™s really going onā€¦ still thinking about what those would be at the momentā€¦

Iā€™m still wondering though if there is some kind of profile on your system that is targeting ā€œRhino.exeā€, which then turns off hardware acceleration. Thatā€™s why I had you rename the DeviceID app to ā€œRhino.exeā€ ā€¦but obviously it still worksā€¦ but the profile could be looking for an exact program path. I guess you could try renaming the rhino program to something else and see what happens.

For example:

Rename: C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\System\Rhino.exe
To: C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\System\RhinoXYZ.exe

ā€¦then double click RhinoXYZ.exe to run itā€¦ then see what is reported on the OpenGL settings page.

Note: Donā€™t forget to rename it back to Rhino.exe when youā€™re done.

Thanks for your patience on this oneā€¦this one certainly has me puzzled at the moment.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your help.

Screen shot of open GL page for ā€˜rhinoxyz.exeā€™ is attached.

I think I may have confused mattersā€¦ my last request wasnā€™t for the ā€œDeviceID.exeā€ applicationā€¦it was for the Rhino program itselfā€¦ Thatā€™s why I specified the exact path to the Rhino program in my exampleā€¦ Soā€¦ completely forget about the DeviceID.exe program for nowā€¦ Iā€™d like you to rename the Rhino program

ā€œC:\Program Files\Rhino 6\System\Rhino.exeā€

ā€¦to something like:

ā€œC:\Program Files\Rhino 6\System\RhinoXYZ.exeā€

ā€¦ then Iā€™d like you to run ā€œC:\Program Files\Rhino 6\System\RhinoXYZ.exeā€, which should bring up Rhinoā€¦ Once Rhino is running, go to Options->View->OpenGL and get a screenshot of itā€¦

Note: When trying to rename Rhino.exe you will be prompted by Windows to do so since it resides in a protected folderā€¦just allow the rename to occurā€¦ Again, remember to rename RhinoXYZ.exe back to Rhino.exe once youā€™re done, otherwise your rhino shortcut on your desktop wonā€™t work.

This probably isnā€™t going to show anythingā€¦but at this point, Iā€™d like to start eliminating specific casesā€¦and an Intel GPU profile for Rhino.exe is what Iā€™m trying to eliminate here.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry about that.

I did exactly as you said but I then posted the wrong image.

No worriesā€¦ the results showed what I expectedā€¦ nothing :slight_smile:

Thanks againā€¦ Iā€™m going to be putting in some diagnostic code this week, and Iā€™ll post a link to the installer once theyā€™re inā€¦ Itā€™ll be just like installing Rhino, only itā€™ll be an internal build with my additions/changes.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,
It all sounds very clever. I look forward to trying it out.

Bill

Bricscad.

Was that intended for a different post? I donā€™t understand how ā€œBricscadā€ has anything to do with this thread.

Sarcasm perhaps. ??

Meant it for THIS thread.

No, no sarcasm. THIS far along, thereā€™s really no excuse for this kind of problem, the time lost dealing with it, and the heartache resulting from these kinds of problems cropping up with every single ā€œimprovedā€ upgrade, with SO MANY worthwhile implementations on the market for SO MANY YEARS. We KEEP trying, and the best we get is ā€œPlease upload your model so we can debug our softwareā€ or ā€œPlease send us your system specs so we can solve a problem that didnā€™t exist beforeā€¦ā€

The 2D drawing process has been around since the mid to late 80ā€™s, having WELL matured since then. There is really NO EXCUSE for these kinds of problems THIS LATE in the ā€œCADā€ game. Either SOLVE it or license an existing solution.

Iā€™ve found BricsCAD to be a remarkably stable MATURE solution to 2D CAD, at a FRACTION of the price of AutoCAD. Now, I FULLY EXPECT lots of comments like ā€œIā€™ve found THIS: ____ example to be as good as BricsCAD ā€¦ā€ , only proving my point. NOT A ONE of them will complain that their DIMENSION TEXT DOESNā€™T SHOW UP !

So no, NO sarcasm.

Dimensions improperly being drawn are just an easy to tell symptom that the display driver is not being used in Rhino 6. We need to figure out why Rhino 6 is not seeing the driver on this system.

CFEEā€™s contribution does not help.

When I raised this subject, I was at best looking to solve a display problem on several identical HP laptops that I use when training people to use Rhino.

At least this would notify McNeel of a possible bug in Rhino 6.

A discourse that seems to be selling another piece of software appears to be entirely irrelevant.

In the meantime both Jeff and Steve have given highly professional and competent support and I trust them to work on this until they either find a solution or conclude that for my laptops there may not be one.

I have 20 yrs invested in Rhino. I do not intend to change to something unknown to me.

2 Likes

Thanks; very much appreciated

What is the exact model of this laptop? I can look around to see if I can find one. This may be a good test machine to have.

Of COURSE it doesnā€™t help - its not intended to help McNeel debug a problem they didnā€™t have at RH-5, and still donā€™t have with the same Model/Drawing when opened in RH-5. Iā€™ve already covered a testing/debug protocol deeply tested and well proven, that might be of value to developers, elsewhere.

It IS intended to help ANYONE who actually PRODUCES for a living, with a usable interim solution until this is finally resolved. See how easy that was ?

Now, I return to the question hinted at in my response: Whatā€™s different in this new and improved ā€œupgradeā€ , when the ā€œdriverā€ is CLEARLY being ā€œusedā€ in every other possible part of displaying the model ? Iā€™ll give you a hint: I found a workable solution (RH-5) when I returned my object(s) to a centroid at 0,0,0 and adjusted my default-camera working clipping planes, and working precision to 4 decimal places in the current working units - feet in that case, as I was using RH-5 in my subsea work for Chevron as the offshore CAD Design Lead for their Hurricane Restoration project.

Havenā€™t had a set of problems of THIS sort since, with other - related - solutions as mentioned above, until RH-6. If none of this applies to your application, then maybe we just add THIS ā€œvideo drivers problemā€ to so many OTHERS I have posted myself on other threads, some of which have been beautifully and successfully resolved, some - pending ā€¦ , some slated for a FUTURE RELEASE - expected YEARS from now.

In the mean time, if you ARE looking for a solution that actually ā€œhelpsā€, try one of the more mature (read: STABLE) 2D-Drawings solutions widely available to the market, remembering youā€™ll be dealing with MAKE2D challenges. Hint: turn off the tangent outline setting ā€¦ .

Good luck - C.

Steve,

The laptops are HP i5 machines with Windows 7 on them. They have been upgraded to Windows 10.

product A9Y29EA#ABU
model g6-1384ea

Hmmā€¦ I was hoping to find one of these online, but am not having much luck.