Difficulty forming this shape in SubD/Kangaroo in Rhino 7

Hello all, I am looking for help in creating an encapsulated tensile shape. I will be making it into a building with walls etc. however right now I am just attempting to figure out how I create this shape. I have made physical models of it thus far (shown below is similar to what I am looking for except not in a torus form). I have been using SubD however I cannot figure out how to pull vertex’s and surface portions out without them being smooth (I want them to look as if they are in tension, so sharp). I was also thinking of Kangaroo however the only tutorials I can find on it use just a single roof structure instead of an encapsulated shape. Any help on this is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Welcome Dylan,

This is pretty straightforward to do with Kangaroo 2.

mesh-relax

Here’s an example.

mesh-relax.gh (11.3 KB)

4 Likes

mesh_relax.gh (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you! I haven’t used Kangaroo yet but this is an excellent starting point. Cheers!

After changing up the form to my liking I am now attempting to make it into a surface or set of lines to put in AutoCAD so it can be edited and then 3D printed. Brep nor MeshSurface will work. Would you know of any way to go about doing this?

Why don’t you export an STL out of Rhino. No need to go back to Autocad for that.

I need to make the form into a house, so I want to give the walls thickness, and a floor etc. Can you do that with STL files?

There’s boolean union / subtract / intersection for meshes too. Or in case you’re working with a quad mesh, you can turn that into a SubD and then ToNurbs… Many ways…

This works great as well!