Different type of penalizing surface

hi every body i just wondered if there is any way to panelize a surface with rectangle cells that they are planer andsuitable for laser cut like we do with triangle panels.
is there any plugin or keyword that i can search and find it my self?
thanks for your time.

I donā€™t know what your requirements are for laser cutting - Iā€™m only answering the planar quad part of your question :wink:

And I suppose you need this inside of Grasshopper?
In that case, I would use ā€˜Grasshopperā€™ and ā€˜Daniel Pikerā€™ as keywords for searches.

A few links:

http://www.food4rhino.com/project/kangaroo?etx

Perhaps if you explain your requirements a bit more, @DanielPiker could offer some adviceā€¦

hi
here is a bit more explanation :
yes i want to do it in grasshopper
when we turn a surface into triangle surfaces we can trust that a triangle surface is always planer so we can orient them into a flat sheet of paper and prepare them for laser cut .
now i want to know is there any way to estimate a surface whit small rectangle surfaces Instead of triangle surface Provided that rectangle surfaces are still planer like triangle one.
i can penalize a surface into quad meshes or surfaces but the parts are not planer . i want to find a way to estimate the surface with planer quad

You can do that on some specific cases: a cylinder, a cone or a sphere are examples. But arbitrary free-form surfaces wonā€™t allow that.

1 Like

Have you looked at EvoluteTools Lite or EvoluteTools D.LOFT? They may not ā€œrun in GH,ā€ but Iā€™m certain that you could manipulate the resulting mesh in GH if you needed to.

Since itā€™s a nurbs surface
You can simply isotrim
Get doubly curved panels
Then deconstruct the brep ( srf )
And list item the vertices - 1,2,3,4 and use srf4pt
( surface4point ) to get the desirable result