Different thicknesses mesh (see image)

How could I achieve these different thicknesses like in this image?

Different%20thickness%20mesh

Assuming you start with a mesh, you extract all the vertices (points), measure the distance from each vertex to the mesh boundary, run this distance through a graph mapper or equation which converts small distances (i.e. vertices on or near the boundary) to the largest thickness and large distances (i.e. vertices far away from the boundary) to the smallest distances.

That’s one way at least, I don’t know how the people who made the original did it, it could be way more complex depending on what it was they were trying to optimise.

1 Like

Thank you, I was thinking about that too.
I cannot find a ‘mesh thicken-component’ that let specify the ‘location’ of thickening.

Also, the thickness looks in the image on some edges straight. It is difficult for me to achieve that. I quess, I just should use a point attractor or something, or curve attractors. But, thicken a mesh on certain places like with weaverbird-like compenents seems difficult to me. Because there is not such component.

When I try it, there are gaps.
I do not know how Michael Pryor did this, with Pufferfish?

mesh thicken 01.gh (15.3 KB)

If you want to thicken vertex based I would go for weaverbird:

mesh thicken 01.gh (9.8 KB)

1 Like

No Pufferfish. As I told you a few times “some minimal surface stuff with anemone from few years ago”. Variable thickness can be made with WB thicken as Baris shows.

1 Like

Thank you Baris, I was not aware that was possible with that component. :slight_smile:

Yes, you told me about the minimal surface. I thought it might be that something from Pufferfish was used to make the thickness because the relief or something. I know understand that it is less complex.

Previously, I could not guess how the thickness was managed with that component, but now I know. Thank you.

That is why it is important to read component descriptions :smiley:
Thicken

2 Likes