Diamond material settings

How can I render diamond or any gem using rhino?

There is a diamond preset material in the gem material.

Another question regarding this if it’s ok…
In Keyshot there’s a place in the gems material setting to dial the size of the gem, the app then use it to calculate correctly the dispersion [I think but could be wrong] and the color density … do we have something in that direction in Cycle…?

thanks a lot
Akash

Hi @Akash
To my knowledge, Cycles - even the newest Cycles X - doesn’t do dispersion at all. Decent results can be obtained by “cheating”, eg. using specialized shaders, but no actual, calculated dispersion. I’m sure @nathanletwory can elaborate (? :grimacing:)
HTH, Jakob

Correct.

But it shows transparent diamonds. So I want to know the settings for that & can you please help me for gold rendering settings for various colour & purity of gold.

Hi Jakob
thank you, I wasn’t aware of this going into learning [some] Blender for rendering purpose. certainly disappointing, and now with Nathan’s official confirmation… I’m wondering where else to look?
Keyshot Pro has very good ‘out of the box’ gem materials and jewellery Preset, but I find it limiting in several other ways. [I have the KS pro to ZB version which has imports and exports disabled but cost 1/4 of the regular version]

thanks a lot
Akash

Hi @Akash
Yeah, it’s a shame, but it’s free - which is more than can be said about Keyshot (who have no gone over to the dark side of a subscription business model :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:).
There are plenty of other engines out there, but since I’m tied to Keyshot through work, I’m not familiar with most of them. I do see Bella popping up here a lot, and if I were to start with a new engine, I would start there.
HTH, Jakob

1 Like

Yes
I have ks 10 pro and no intention to upgrade farther.
what pushed me to Blender is the difficulties to work with Substance materials in KS.
[it was a UV thing coming from zb… likely solvable but I lost patient]

Bella is looking very interesting, and I would imagine it support Substance through Rhino…?

thanks a lot
Akash

1 Like

Could you give an example of this “cheating”?

Hi @richard.aubin
It’s not something I’ve ever used myself - I’m a Keyshot guy. There’s quite a few tutorials out there if you Google “cycles dispersion” - here’s one that seems fairly simple :slight_smile:
HTH, Jakob

I’m a VRay user, however I was hoping for some Rhino/Cycles help :blush: Don’t think the video you shared can be applied to rhino.

No, correct. This is Cycles in blender only.
-Jakob