Developable surface - exact ruling lines from edge curves

If there are more than one tangent line should we choose the shortest?

Either choice satisfies the criteria for an individual ruling line. A reasonable choice would be the shortest line.

1 Like

Hmm, but the usage of the cusp tip point looks much better

Cusp&Tangent.3dm (3.9 MB)

Hi @davidcockey! Could you provide me with some recommendations?

1. What is the best way to build a developable surface through a bunch of found exact ruling lines? Is it Sweep2, DevLoft, or perhaps something else?
  2. Is the UnrollSrf tool a reliable method to unroll a developable surface without deformation, in the case when we handle a truly Developable surface?
  3. The more ruling lines we utilize the closer to a real Developable our surface will be - is the assumption correct?

My usual method for a developed surface from two edge curves:
Usually there will not be exact ruling lines between the ends of the curves. I look at the curves, and decide which ends need to be extended so that exact ruling lines between the curves are possible.
Start at the end of one curve and find the exact ruling line to the other curve.
If no ruling line exists to the end other curve, then either extend the other curve or start at the end of that curve.
Repeat at the other ends of the curves.
Trim the edge curves with the end ruling lines.
DevLoft for a developable surface between the extended/trimmed edge curves.
Check the surface using Curvature (not CurvatureAnalysis) to see if the curve is close enough to developable. Curvature shows the principal curvatures as circles at a point on the circle. If the surface id developable at that point one of the principal curvatures is zero and curvature circle will be a straight line. I check at multiple locations on the surface.
If the surface is not close enough to developable determine additional exact ruling lines between the curves. Use the -DevLoft version of DevLoft with the AddRuling option to add the exact ruling lines.

I believe so but have not extensively tested.

This depends on how the developable surface is created. At some point adding exact ruling lines stops improving the accuracy.

1 Like

@davidcockey

I encountered a case where a ruling line obtained from a tangent point was not suitable to generate a developable surface. At first glance, the second pulled curve appears to have a cusp, but upon zooming in, it turned out that there was no authentic cusp, only a sharp bend. I would appreciate your advice how to handle the ruling line in the case.

Ruling.3dm (2.4 MB)

Snap to the cusp using the Tan Osnap. Let me know if you you still have a question.
Ruling DC.3dm (1.6 MB)

Oh, there is also a tangent point on the bend/cusp. Much obliged David!