Denoiser offline download and install

Is there an alternative to package manager for downloading and installing the Intel and/or the Nvidia denoisers for an offline R7 computer?

Also: are the denoisers for Rhino just the standard mfr’s denoiser or are they specially adapted plugins available from McNeel?

I think you can copy some files from online machine to an offline one.

No idea what this means.

The denoisers plug-ins are denoisers based on technology created by the respective vendors. Nvidia denoiser means it is built on the OptiX denoising technology, AMD denoiser means it is based on their technology and Intel really means the OpenImageDenoiser. The plug-ins do the plumbing work to get them working in the post-effects pipeline provided in Rhino RDK.

The plug-ins are maintained by us.

Sorry. mfr is a common abbreviation here in US for manufacturer.

Thanks for clarification that Rhino needs an “adaptor” plugin that you maintain.

Is there a link to someplace where I can download the plugin files?
I’ve never even tried the package manager, believing it to be of no use when offline.

With a 20 core Xeon and an Nvidia A4000, I assume I need only consider the Nvidia and Intel denoisers. I think the Nvidia uses the GPU and the Intel uses the CPU multiple cores, is that right? Does it make sense to install both; is it even possible? If not, which would make more sense?

Thanks, @tay.othman. An offline user needs to be very familiar with this basic concept and you are indeed correct.

You should be able to search URLs using Rhino - Yak Command Line Tool Reference

You should also be able to use the .yak packages that you have already installed on the machine that is connected to the internet. You should be able to find the packages somewhere in the %APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros folder structure I believe, @will can tell you more about that.

This, I think, will be the best procedure for installing packages on an offline computer…

1. On the offline computer, in the Rhino.Options.PackageManager.Sources advanced setting replace the server URL with the path to a folder on the machine, e.g. “C:\packages”.

https://developer.rhino3d.com/guides/yak/package-sources/

2. On a computer with an internet connection, use the Package Server’s “Versions” API to find the packages’ download URLs. The versions are listed in reverse order (latest first) and the download URL is under the url key and has a “.yak” extension.

3. Copy the download .yak files to the folder on your offline computer. Now, when you run the _PackageManager command you’ll see the packages show up.

It took a bit of additional research and experimentation to understand what you said but I eventually managed to extract the URLs from the yak.rhino3d.com/versions files you linked to and download the yak files. I will get to the offline computer path change, file copying and installation next.

This gave me some trouble. I downloaded and installed the evaluation version of R7 and installed it in Windows 10 under parallels on my MacBook Pro. It seemed to work well enough to use Package Manager. But I couldn’t discover how to do it. I’m not sure what you meant by “Package Server”.

I also played with the Yak Command Line Tool as suggested by Nathan but couldn’t find anything that would print out a .yak file list, nor did it seem to have a version command as you mentioned.

Do you have any more comments or links to help broaden my understanding of the yak/package manager/package server thing?

I created a folder named “Packages” in C:\ProgramData\McNeel\ and copied the NVIDIADenoiser-0.4.3-rh8_0-win.yak file into it.

I changed the Options.PackageManager.Sources to “C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Packages”.

When I ran the PackageManager command from the command line it loaded but both the Online and Installed tabs contained nothing. Search for NVIDIADenoiser yielded nothing; in fact it immediately close package manager when I pressed return after filling in the search box.

Any idea where I got off track?

I think you’re almost there! Try downloading the .yak file from the link below. The one you have is for Rhino 8.

https://files.mcneel.com/yak/packages/NVIDIADenoiser-0.4.3-rh7_2-win.yak

Ah, this is a known bug. There’s no need to hit Enter when searching – you should see the spinner start up when you stop typing.