Deformation magnifying method

Hi!
I have my own code solving trusses. Today I did a comparison with Karamba and noticed something interesting.

While both give the same stress distribution, the deformation “looks” different. I meant by “looks” they look different when they are displayed with magnified deformation. When deformation is very small, they look the same. But when they are scaled up, they look different.

My code simply grabs the displacement and scale it up and add it to the original geometry.
I’m wondering maybe if Karamba is using some more sophisticated method to scale up the deformation.
(if it’s not secret…, if it is a secrete please give me some insight)

Thanks!

Hi @mikity_kogekoge,
there is no secret. In first and second order theory analysis Karamba3D assumes the displacements to be small and linearly scales them with the user supplied factor.
The ‘Large Deformation Analysis’-component uses an incremental approach (see the manual), the ‘AnalyzeNonlion WIP’-component among others an incremental iterative procedure (see here).
It would be interesting to see where the differences lie as compared to your approach.
– Clemens