Decals seem to freeze my system

Hi,
I cannot seem to place decals as the instance will freeze up.
Pasted geometry from V5 with decals will also freeze the WIP.

-Willem

Hi Willem,

What is the simplest step-by-step instructions you can give which reproduces the problem?

Thanks,
-David

Hi David,

Open WIP
Draw Sphere
Set A view in Raytraced Mode
Select Sphere and in properties panel choose Decal
Click the + to add a decal, choose an imgage file on disk and proceed.

I do get a response here when testing with a small texture, but it’s sluggisch.
A larger texture (1600 x 700) I need to work with is bringing Rhino to a halt.

Thanks
-Willem

Okay, I can reproduce it when using Raytraced. It works fine on Rendered mode. @nathanletwory Do you know why Cycles slows down when placing a decal?

Hi David,

Do you have a Rendered mode in V6? I do not have it and just revived a topic about it:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/missing-a-rendered-mode/32438/7

-Willem

Yes, and it’s been there for as long as I can remember :slight_smile:

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

My Vanilla V6:

I suspect you customized it or imported it from V5?

If I delete all displaymodes and restart I should get the default set of DPmodes yet the above is all I get.

-Willem

Willem

Type “TestResetSettings” and then choose “All”. Restart Rhino.

• Andy

Thanks Andy,

I got it now:

I’ll edit my revived comment about this. Yet It seems something is not right because it did not show up after deleteing all modes and restart…not?

-Willem

1 Like

Hi David,

Rendered mode is not responsive either. I do get to place and see the decal, however realtime positioning it is undo able.
It seems the view is not responsive unti an arbitrary position while manipulating is calculated…
Here is the texture:

-Willem

Willem,

For me it is instantaneous and updated in real time. Is your scene very large? Is rotating the view quick?

What GPU do you have?

-David

I replied per PM because I attached the file with the issue.

-Thanks

No. I’m still revisiting the shader code. I’ll check decals when it becomes relevant for that work.

Best guess is that the baking of the decal(s) is what takes time. The best solution would be to do proper decal handling through a separate uv map per decal.