Decals in V-ray for Rhino

unhandled

How should I add a Decal using V-ray for Rhino ?
Thanks
Rachel

(Marc Gibeault) #2

By applying a material with the decal image on a surface just the size of the decal. This surface should be offset a little bit from the main surface.

GREAT !! Thank you very much

(Laurent Delrieu) #4

You could also uncheck tile option in Vray texture editor. Last time I used that it didn’t work on Rhino viewport but worked on Vray rendering.

Here a simple surface, rendered in Rhino (UV widget visible) and rendered in Vray.

OK . I will try it. Thank you very much !!

GREAT FORUM !!! Isn’t it ?

(Miguel Villegas Ballesta) #7

So the surfaces are doubled? It´s sort of bugging me because, depending on the offset you could get some sort of “shadow” cast on the underlaying surface.
If I´m not wrong, on 3ds max if you chose a *.png with transparencies, the transparent had the effect of using the base diffuse of the material and not the texture… this I find more intuitive.

(Laurent Delrieu) #8

Hello
I didn’t use Vray for some years. I have now the V3.6, I just tested decals and it seems to work well.

There is also a tile option in U and V with an offset in U

here the default color

Graphic in combination with a material
(Marc Gibeault) #9

It’s the same with V-Ray for Rhino, you use a layer with transparency on top of your base material. Youcan have a different UV mapping channel.

(Miguel Villegas Ballesta) #10

Thanks! Will try it

+1 for multiple mapping channels, you can then use V-Ray Blend material to mix both the base surface and a decal.