Dark appearance on macOS Mojave

(Remy Konings) #1

Hi,

So the latest version of macOS was unveiled a few days ago with support for a dark mode. It was said that third party applications can be adapted for it.

Any plans for Rhino for Mac. It would be a welcomed feature.

best,
Remy

(John Brock) #2

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
We don’t have any plans currently for this sort of thing, other than making the display theme colors user adjustable.

(Dan Belcher) #3

We tested Rhino for Mac out on a Mojave beta and we think that it will be a large amount of work to support this well. The most obvious problem - and the most tedious - is the icons. Notice that all the icons in Rhino use black lines for “lines” and black borders for many objects, like this:

42%20AM

With the Dark Mode enabled, the icons are not legible. So, we would have to rework all the icons. There are number of other controls that - at first glance - did not look quite right. That said, we suspect this is all the tip of the iceberg and we plan to discuss and investigate more (RH-46613). We have spoken with developers of other applications and we have heard that supporting Dark Mode well always turns out to be more work than expected.

One man’s opinion here: dark mode is in the vanity category as far as I’m concerned.

Much rather see time invested into parity with the Windows version.

I agree with what he said above :slight_smile: :point_up_2::point_up_2::pray::pray:

(Garypaton05) #6

Hmm Drak mode is very nice looking and we can also create a keyboard to activate dark mode on mac mojave.

(Remy Konings) #7

Ah I see. Thank you for the clarification :slight_smile:

(Remy Konings) #8

Definitly I agree as well.

any news on this?

btw there is a system default setting to go back to the old dark mode look that only effects the menu bar.

defaults write -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool Yes

to undo this change you can run

defaults write -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool No

(Dan Belcher) #10

We are not planning to support Dark Mode in Rhino 5 for Mac. Give the RhinoWIP a try :wink:

is there a way to override dark mode per application on your guys end? i like it for the rest of the system but in the WIP it’s a little inconsistent on what is dark and default. thank you for the reply.

edit: @dan i came across this on stack flow
How to disable Dark Mode for my app in Mojave?

another from Mac dev pages
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsappearancecustomization/choosing_a_specific_appearance_for_your_app#2993819