Cycles Render in V7 WIP?

Finally able to install WIP V7, but it failed to load cycles render plugin.
Is it not available yet? Searched but couldn’t get a good search result.

I get the same message.
It will get sorted in due course.
We are currently focused on V6 bug fixes and Mac V6.

@Toshiaki_Takano, It isn’t available yet, indeed. You should block the CylcesForRhino plug-in - there will be a different one eventually. I just haven’t had the time to do anything in V7 WIP yet ^.^

Thanks for checking.

It’s no problem, just checking to make sure I’m not missing out. :slight_smile:

The WIP7 Cycles Render does not work on my ThinkPad W530 laptop. The laptop has Quadro K2000M graphics card. (Legacy Rhino Render works fine.)

Does Raytraced work in v7? Does Raytraced work in v6?

WIP7 raytraced display mode is so slow that it is useless. I made the following screenshot about 20 seconds after starting the raytraced display mode.

Yes, it works, but it freezes after 4 passes. I had to use Windows Task Manager to stop it. (It did not freeze a few months ago.) Here is the screenshot:

SystemInfo data
Rhino 7 SR0 2019-8-6 (Rhino WIP, 7.0.19218.15045, Git hash:master @ 25059280403699fda3b79d2554ac47bed5d229d6)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-08-06
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Andrew Nowicki ()
Expires on: 2019-09-20

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: LENOVO-PC

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K2000M (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 5-1-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 425.51

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (Intel) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 8-16-2018 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-1-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.2551
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.19218.15045
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.19218.15045
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.19218.15045
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.19218.15045
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.19218.15045
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Here it’s working fine with last Wip.

Ray traced “Cycles”.
Thea traced.
V-ray Next.

A post was split to a new topic: Point cloud display problem

Perhaps ensure you’re using the default settings for Raytraced at least.

I am rendering caveman, so I did not change any rendering defaults. I clicked ‘Reset To Defaults’ button at the bottom of the rendering panel in WIP7. The WIP7 raytraced display mode improved, but it still looks bad after 10 passes. You can see it in the following screenshot.

I also clicked ‘Reset To Defaults’ button at the bottom of the rendering panel in Rhino6.16. The raytraced display mode became worse, probably because default resolution is higher than original resolution. Rhino6.16 froze, but it behaved differently when it was freezing. You can see the raytraced display mode in the following screenshot.

The reset in v7 was to ensure there were no stale or incorrect settings in use.

I am assuming that for both version Rhino is using the NVidia GPU to render (can be verified by checking through Tools > Options > Cycles under the rendering device section).

Yes, both versions use CUDA. WIP7 struggles even with simple drawings in the rendered display mode. Rhino6 performs fine in the rendered display mode.

Hmm, not sure why v7 would be slower. At this moment v6 and v7 Raytraced are still the same - the code base hasn’t diverged from that point of view. I don’t know if there have been any changes to the underlying pipeline system that could impact performance.

I have just compared them on the same drawing (model). Rhino6 is fast and smooth. WIP7 is slow and jittery.

I have just updated Rhino to 6.17 and the newest WIP version (7.0.19239.11525, 2019-08-27). Rhino 6.17 renderer seems to be perfect. WIP renderer is is still too slow to be useful. The following picture was rendered in one minute.

Hi, I can confirm that raytrace is definitely slower in WIP than in R6. Tried on a simple model, default settings both. Though working on MacBook, if it plays any role here…I also noticed that the eGPU is not recognized in WIP… in opengl settings. R6 can see it! see below!

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 20.24.31 Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 20.23.28

Correct, GPU rendering with Cycles is currently not supported in Rhino WIP - it is unclear if and when that will change.