Cycles bogs things down while editing a material

(Pascal Golay) #1

@nathanletwory - here, if I have a raytraced viewport and I do something like change the color in a granite texture, the color picker stops responding pretty much immediately and I have to wait a bit to see the change in the color- the actual interactive change is pretty much impossible to fine tune. Meantime Cycles is churning like crazy trying to keep up. I know I can switch the view to something else, but that somewhat negates an advantage of the viewport rendering. So… I wonder if, if actually keeping up while the color picker (or whatever control) is not working, if Cycles can or should be suspended while material editing dialogs are open, at least the modal ones…

-Pascal

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #2

Hi @pascal,

I don’t see how the color picker stops responding, while clicking and dragging in the color wheel I see no blocking color picker.

I do see that the Raytraced viewport doesn’t get updates before the mouse is released though - is that what you mean?

/Nathan

(Pascal Golay) #3

Hi Nathan - I noticed the other day that while the viewport was rendering if I went to edit a material (in this case the color in a granite texture, I think), interaction with the color picker was very, very delayed - sliding the dot around the color swatch to desaturate the color for example - the dot did not actually move for maybe 20 seconds.

-Pascal

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #4

Interesting - I don’t see that behavior here at all. Using the color wheel has no delays here at all.

/Nathan

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #5

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-37955

(Brian Gillespie) #6

RH-37955 is fixed in the latest WIP