Cycles and Lands Design plants bug

Hi,
it was too unresponsive in Raytraced mode or in any display mode?

Raytraced mode fails to manage Lands plants because they are quite complex objects. We need to do something to fix this.

However, when you use the Rhino Render Next, plants objects are replaced by much more detailed plants. In this case they are standard textured meshes that Rhino manages perfectly.

1 Like

Rhino Render Next = Raytraced. In both cases the geometry, materials and textures are received through the changequeue system. There should be no difference.

In any, I added a few conifers and in an empty scene and I got a few delays where Rhino froze for 30 something seconds. I tried to move 5 trees and then it started thinking again (very unlike your videos). This was in rendered mode and I have a GeForce 970 on this machine, so it has enough power.

No, but when turing on Raytraced it looks like above, but when Rhino Next is started then a Lands Dialog box with a status bar appears before the rendering starts and then both the viewport and nxt starts rendering as I showed in the images above.

Does this mean you are using a conduit to draw in the viewport?

I think for Raytraced at least the correct way is to use the CRM, which is also what would be used in a production render. If you need to discuss this in more detail you can write directly to me with questions at nathan@mcneel.com.

Yes, that is.

Custom Render Meshes sounds good, I guess one day we are going to implement them.

I’m pretty sure that the problem was caused by a plugin named “Displacement”. We have some sort of conflict with this plugin so that when Lands updates its objects Displacement plugin starts to do a lot of recursive calls that cause these delays.

Disabling the Displacement plugin should solve the problem. The new Lands version, recently published, tries to minimize this problem when Displacement is present, but the best solution is to disable it, unless you really need it.

Are you saying that just having the plug-in enabled causes this?

@andy, @Jussi_Aaltonen do you have any idea if that is even possible?

Hi @albert, I could not repeat the issue just by adding a bunch of trees into an empty document. I tried with Lands Design Beta version 4.9.9.5273. Can you help me how to see the delays? Which Rhino 6 version are you running on?

Hi Jussi,
the problem happened mostly on Rendered mode and having Forests with a large number of trees. Forests are single Rhino objects that contain a lot of geometry. When they was modified and redrawn, the delays was incredibly annoying and this is how the call stack looked like:

In the latest Lands Design Beta, the one you have tested, released few days ago, we have changed the implementation of “HasSubObjectMaterials” function so that it always returns false. This way, it looks like RDK (and Displacement) ignores our objects in many of its procedures, and since they are custom objects drawn by us, it’s not a problem at all.

Hope this help to figure out the problem. If you need an older version of Lands Design, let me know and I’ll provide you it.

Thanks for the call stack @albert! We now know what this is. RDK is preparing to show own material for each sub object. At the moment best solution is what you’ve already done: to return false from HasSubObjectMaterials.

We will probably improve this for Rhino WIP.

1 Like

Wow, great result!

I am not able to select the tree to edit it.Also i amnot able to edit the tree size even after i edit the properties of tree editor. please help me

Make sure your tree is not on a layer that is locked.

No its not. one way i found to edit it through selecting the tree in the select panel of the edit panel.then i can scale it down. Is there any other way i can do it normally?

I don’t know lands design and how it works. I was assuming an actual object exists on a layer, so that was what came to mind.

No its not an actual object in the layer.its virtually present in the file.but in rendering it is visible.

Can you see a layer called “By parent”? If so, is it On and unlocked? This is an internal layer, usually hidden. When it gets locked, Lands objects show this behavior.

A post was split to a new topic: VRay and Lands Design plant bug