Cyberstrak plugin

Me too.
Gotta encourage this development!

1 Like

Maybe this plug-in deserves its own topic? I noticed that the CSDynSection command creates section curves (straight polylines) based on the rendering mesh instead of proper NURBS curves. The same goes for the CSSections command.

Bug report 1:
The CSCurvature tool shows inverted graph hairs on the same surface, probably due to their local orientation relative to the Z-axis.

Bug report 2:
Seems like the CSBlend tool is unable to create a proper blend surface with G2 continuity at either side in this case. I also attach the model used for this test.
Blend surface must be fixed.3dm (276.3 KB)

Bug report 3:
There is an issue with the CSCVModeling tool while trying to rotate the camera with the right mouse button. Looks like there is some interference between the mouse pointer and the control points of the edited surface while rotating the camera when they meet together on the screen.

Bug report 4:
The CSBlend tool is incapable to create a proper blend surface between edges 1 and 2 in the attached 3d model above. Also, the user is not given an option to flip the edges if necessary. Choosing “Curvature” on either edge will create a flat vertical surface. Choosing other combinations for continuity will create super weird shapes.
If you try this with Rhino’s ! _BlendSrf, you will notice that it creates a perfectly smooth and beautiful blend there.

6 Likes

There seems to be only a 1 year subscription available.

1 Like

I second that, for sure let’s start a proper topic for it.

2 Likes

Yes, that is how it worked in VSR too (for draft analysis for instance)
And yes, a specific topic or a sub category under “plug-ins” would be great.

I think being active on here or even placing the support forum on this discourse would be a great marketing move too, @Peter_Salzman

1 Like

I hesitated as I think @Peter_Salzman might have his own ideas…

1 Like

So no perpetual license?

2 Likes

From what I can see on the cyberstrak website, no.
But I don’t know more about this than anyone else here.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have to wait and see then if the developer will offer a perpetual license for those who prefer that option instead of the subscription.

3 Likes

I tried it…
The blend surface is so-so, limited in its possibilities. Or am I wrong?
But we are at the beginning; the plugin is still too immature.

2 Likes

Yes, a lot missing and blend surface seems to still behave a little errantly at this moment.
But the direction is clearly pointing in the same direction VSR did, so I am more than exited about this.

For me, someone who is still Rhino5 plus VSR on a daily basis it feels unreal to have something that closely resembles Shape modeling (in look and feel, hopefully in function soon) running under Rhino7/8

3 Likes

I vote for “McNeel” to hire this developer ASAP and implement those great tools in Rhino natively.

17 Likes

Ok, I just visited the site, and it mentions the app being a subscription. :frowning:

1 Like

That is unfortunate. I personally can’t stand subscription licenses, and this is a matter of principle for me, not just an economic decision. It’s a dealbreaker, and probably for many others as well.

7 Likes

I don’t get why people are so mad about subscriptions. A perpetual license is also a form of subscription. Take Rhino for example, It costs $1,000, so you have to make the economic decision if spending that money is worth it to you or not. Let’s say you decide it’s worth it and you’re happy with it.

In 3 years Rhino comes out with V9 and the upgrade is $600. Now you have to decide if the new features are worth the upgrade or not. If you decide it’s worth the upgrade your subscription cost was $200 a year.

Cyberstrak is developed by one guy who needs to put food on the table. I am more than happy to pay him $100 a year if it improves my workflow. But that’s just my opinion.

5 Likes

I favor owning my software rather than renting it. This way, I retain the choice to upgrade; I’m not compelled to ‘upgrade’ as in the case of a SaaS service. Additionally, I eliminate the risk of losing access to the software in the event of the service being shut down.

Furthermore, perpetual licenses come with the advantage of no risks related to price increases, providing a stable and predictable cost structure.

I understand the importance of managing ongoing costs for certain software, especially those with demanding infrastructures like cloud services. However, it becomes a concern for me when a Software as a Service (SaaS) model is applied to distributed on-premises software that doesn’t require continuous updates or access to external services or computing resources.

4 Likes

I hate subscription software, and subscriptions in general with every fibre of my being. I hate the idea that I cannot walk away owning something, and not updating it. It always feels like I’ve thrown money away. This is why I ended up using bella renderer.

That said, I have just renewed my license for bella, which will give me another year of updates, because it is that good. And I’ll probably renew again next year (assuming I’m not bankrupt).

I’m going to break rank on my usual outright objection to subscriptions here. This software is utterly fantastic, and it makes a massive difference to how you can approach problem surfaces. It’s really easy to learn.

For 100 EUR, you get an easier life modelling in Rhino. And with it being young, there is always the potential for many more interesting features to be added.

The difference here is that you can live without it. You won’t suddenly be unable to render unless you cough up an inordinate amount of money, your surfaces won’t vanish (I think), and you can come back later if it doesn’t quite have the right features.

I hate myself for saying it, but the subscription argument is irrelevant to me at this stage. What a good thing for Rhino, and a cracking piece of software.

7 Likes

I added a few more bug reports in this post:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/vsr-end-of-life/142135/438

Also, I have some suggestions for the CSCVModeling tool:

1. Make it possible to apply “Smooth” on the selected control points only, as well as for the selected row only. Currently, the CSCVModeling tool will apply smoothing to the entire surface, which heavily limits its usefulness;

2. The “Extrapolate” option will not allow snapping of the end points, which must be mandatory in my opinion;

3. Currently, it’s not possible to cancel the dragging by pressing the right mouse button while the left one is held. This is a common way to cancel many commands in Rhino and other software.

2 Likes

There is however an undo function, which is VERY nice.

1 Like

I always loved the VSR local undo while the command is still running, allows you to get everything just right before hitting the OK button.

4 Likes