Custom Object - always show ShortDescription when selecting

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #1

I have a custom object derived from CustomMeshObject that overrides the ShortDescription to show the type of mesh.

public override string ShortDescription(bool plural)
{
    return plural ? "my grids" : "my grid";
}

Now, if I use _SelAll I see the following:

562 points, 83 curves, 6 polysurfaces, 18 surfaces, 19 my grids added to selection.
Cool! that works :smile:

But, if I use _SelMesh I see this:
19 meshes added to selection

It would be nice if the ShortDescription is also used when _SelMesh is used.

(Dale Fugier) #2

Yes it would be nice, but I doubt there is anything we can do here.

All “Sel” commands count up selected objects by “casting” them to known types. Since your custom object is derived from a mesh object, it passes the casting test and, thus, is counted as a mesh. There is no way for us to know the mesh object is actually some other type of object.

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #3

Well, what I’m saying is that SelAll does print ShortDescription but SelMesh does not. So, if SelAll can print it, why can’t SelMesh?

I suppose that all the Sel commands can also try to cast to CustomMeshObject (the base class that I derived from) and read the ShortDescription property in that case. But, not knowing the internals of Rhino, this is pure conjecture of course :smile:

(Menno Deij - van Rijswijk) #4

Can I just draw your attention here once more (I know, it has been a while :wink:) Could this still be realized in Rhino WIP? I’m still seeing my custom objects not with their ShortDescription, except with SelAll

(Dale Fugier) #5

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-37788