Custom Door Visual Arq Grasshopper HELP!

grasshopper
visualarq

Hi Visualarq team or anyone!

My custom door profile which I created in Rhino and set in grasshopper is lying on its side? !

How do you set the vertical and horizontal on the profile so that it will chat nicely with grasshopper?

Ive uploaded my definition. (I think)

One last thing please could you guys or anyone working in grasshopper doing tutorials for others use the full name display and not icons. It makes it so much easier to follow.

thanks!

00 (2)|690x454

doorcustom.gh (11.0 KB)

(Scott Davidson) #2

The important driver is the direction and the start point of the closed curve. By using the CrvSeam command in Rhino you can move the start and end seam of the curve. This will re-orient the curve when inserted in the wall.

Does this work in your case?

Hi Scott

I just tried that and it does help! Are the curveSeam arrows the same as the direction arrows?

But what I ideally would like to ideally know is how should I draw it so that it correctly aligned the 1st time. Not having to fiddle to much each time.

According to the tutorial :
The shape must be taken by a Closed and Planar Curve and can be either selected from an existing curve in the model (its alignment inside the wall will be determined by the XY coordinates of the plane where the curved is contained) or generated in Grasshopper)]
http://www.visualarq.com/features/grasshopper/exercises/create-a-door/

So should I be on the XY plane? Should my upright (vertical line) be against the y axis?

Should I start at zero?

But thank you for your help. It did work and I can definitely always use that!

Yes.

Will do so for the future tutorials!

Tried putting up the vertical against the Y axis from the top view and it didn’t work.

See attached

(Scott Davidson) #6

The key is the CrvSeam and the Direction of the original profile crv. I was able to recreate the situation you are having. Here is how to fix it:

1. It is best to draw the door profile at the origin. Use the X-axis as the bottom and the Y-axis as the up vector. (see image)
  2. The CrvSeam of the profile needs to be the bottom left corner of the profile. This corner point combined with the curve direction will orient the profile.
  3. The Direction of the curve is represented by the white arrow on the CrvSeam command. That arrow needs to be point to the right, along the bottom of the profile, which makes the curve a counter-clockwise curve.

That oriented the profile correctly using your definition.

:grinning:: clap: Thank you!! That’s awesome.

I think I understand it too now!

Appreciate your time.